10 yr old GSD ill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allo `pache.

Came home yesterday, and collected the cat & dog from the kennels. They`d had to put the dog onto chicken & rice,rather than her usual tins & biscuits.

She`d apparently been sweating a lot (?), and huge amounts of vomiting; primarily bile but with semi-digested food, and what may have been faeces (though she`s always eaten that, so that may be a bit of a red herring). The kennel staff couldn`t clean her, as she`d "scream in pain" if they touched her underbelly or haunches.

She doesn`t look / act / seem ill - She`s acting quite normally. Her stools are very thin and light coloured, but she has only been sick once (outside) since coming home, and not as much as she was at the kennels.

I cleaned her down with moist baby wipes yesterday; and there was no tenderness or pain evident. I`m wondering if she "made herself ill" from being in the kennels for 2 weeks; or if there is likely to be an underlying issue. She had chicken & rice yesterday, and we`ll try her with some mince today - appetite is great - nose cold & damp, eyes bright. Tail wagging - she seems genuinely happy to be home. Your thoughts would be appreciated mate.

Martyn

Mart,

I hope she picks uip Mate.

:x

Admin.

Stress can upset some dogs. GSD's can have sensitive stomachs and collitis is common in this breed AND commonly brought on by stress.

So long as she is bright and well, eating ok etc then I wouldn't worry especially. If she continues to improve I wouldn't worry. If the diarrhoea continues get her checked at the vets (maybe take a faecal sample).

Fear not!

(short answer as I now have to go and see a poorly cow!)

:D

Hi Martyn

I hope your dog gets back to her normal self soon . My parents have had GSD's most of their married life and I know how stressed they can become . My parents never use kennels anymore as I usually have their dog stay with me if they go away for a few days . Although the dog knows me well , she still misses my parents but she does settle with me and the wife . I think we spoil her to be honest ;)

Update:

Ruddy cat`s got it too, now (obviously infectious). Dog had accident Sunday night / Monday morning - very runny and discoloured, which it still is. Cat is now going 5 or 6 times a day, but not quite so messy. Both restless when awake, and sleeping a lot. Dog seems to **suddenly** decide she has to go NOW - let her out, and she`s straight "into position", as it were.

Have spoken to local vets, where they go for injections & check-ups. Obviously don`t want to take `em in, as they could pass it around...... Vets`re making up a "pro-biotic binding paste", to try for a couple of days.

Any thoughts bud (we`ve still got `em both on chicken & rice - small portions).

Cheers

Martyn

Sounds like something they both might have picked up in the kennels . Trouble is it's hard to tell initially as the stress of being away from you could have been a factor but this seems to be a bug or something that they have picked up . Hope they both get well real soon . :)

Cat was fine when he came home; it was 2 days after when he started with it, and now I`m not feeling too good either - wondering what the dog could have that the cat AND us could get...........

Cat was fine when he came home; it was 2 days after when he started with it, and now I`m not feeling too good either - wondering what the dog could have that the cat AND us could get...........
Sounds a bit like campylobacter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campylobacteriosis

I've had it - not fun. :(

I'd ring the Vet back, say cat now ill and you off colour. He should suggest you at least send a faecal sample off to the lab (from the dog/cat) or speak to your doctor.

Cheers `pache.

We called the Vet`s yesterday, and explained all this - They`ve actually given us:

"Protexin Pro Colin" -in a large syringe - for the dog & cat.

Am I glad my cat is so good natured? Too right.

They both take the syringe (with a bit of coaxing. Cat has 3x 1mg, and dog has 3x 3mg. Seems to settle `em down.

Appetite much better, and neither have had a single solitary poo since yesterday, when they had it.

We don`t have it as bad as the animals have - just a generally queasy, dodgy sort of sensation.

Thanks bud.

Martyn

Appreciate the update! That's just a kaolin paste with probiotics, but does help bung them up!

Get well soon, the lot of you.