fitting a shower (plumbing)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I've got a copper pipe poking out of the wall horizontally by about an inch, it has an olive on it and nut.

I've never done the plumbing side before and I'll be getting a plumber in if i cant do it but im gonna have a go.

I tried the shower fitting with the outlet facing in the wall and it fits over it but the shower sits a bit too proud, 10mm off the wall, with a bit of luck when tiled it will be perfect but if not whats the best way of putting a 90 on it and then into the shower.

Thank you please.

Compression 90 and into the shower but TBH 10mm for tile and adhesive is ample. I'd say the finished tile surface would easily be 10mm or more from the plastered wall surface, last bathroom I tiled the tiles and adhesive were closer 20mm.

hi sellers, if there is room in the shower and if you can get the nut and olive off you may be able to use a push fit, if the nut is a solderd fitting type then you will have to use a compresion, dont forget the PTFE tape and make sure you wind it on the correct way.

are we talking something like this, one end open for the shower to screw over. and the other to compress round the existing copper pipe

I've got a copper pipe poking out of the wall horizontally by about an inch, it has an olive on it and nut. I've never done the plumbing side before and I'll be getting a plumber in if i cant do it but im gonna have a go.

I tried the shower fitting with the outlet facing in the wall and it fits over it but the shower sits a bit too proud, 10mm off the wall, with a bit of luck when tiled it will be perfect but if not whats the best way of putting a 90 on it and then into the shower.

Thank you please.
have you got the 90 compression elbow that came off the previous joint?

Not all compression fittings have the same depth of pipe form the end of the pipe to the olive. So if the pipe don't fit up snug inside the fitting you can get leaks. :_|

If you have got to put a brand new 90 elbow on it, I would try and remove the old olive and it may sit a bit closer as well then?

With a bit of careful gentle hacksawing, (good new blade), diagonally across the olive, you can cut open an existing olive without damaging the pipe. ;) as long as the pipe hasn't been squashed form overtighting the previous joint! :(

Oh by the way..

Have a go, build up your experience.. its not too hard IMHO!

:)

if its just a straight pipe then it will just be a standard nut and olive, but if you do try to get them off becareful not to squash the pipe, you may be better to use a 90deg compres with PTFE

Oh by the way..

Have a go, build up your experience.. its not too hard IMHO!

cheers specs, thats the idea.

the olive could be a pig to get off (very close to the wall), haven't got the original elbow I think the builder disconnected the original shower not sure if it came with one. So is it ptfe tape on the shower threads?

Right. I have never seen one fitted in a shower feed in the way described. Quite an odd combination of bodging would be required to use a tap connector sticking out of the wall to connect to a shower.

So is it ptfe tape on the shower threads?
No. PTFE tape is for the joints, the thread isn;t part of the joint, it's to hold the joint in place. The PTFE should be wrapped around the olive.

No. PTFE tape is for the joints, the thread isn;t part of the joint, it's to hold the joint in place. The PTFE should be wrapped around the olive.
i dont bother with ptfe i think its poo, the stuff i posted is great.

for rad valves i use lock tight

p4753197_x.jpg

does this look better, imagine shower outlet pointing downwards, the screwed upto it poiting backwards out of the back of the shower, onto the copper pipe, nipped up and bobs your uncle?

i dont bother with ptfe i think its poo, the stuff i posted is great.
PTFE is fine if you know how to use it. Both have their uses and both are fine.

p4753197_x.jpg
does this look better, imagine shower outlet pointing downwards, the screwed upto it poiting backwards out of the back of the shower, onto the copper pipe, nipped up and bobs your uncle?
Don;t follow? What shower is this? Not sure how you'd make that fit on most showers available today. You just need a standard 90 compression.

cheers specs, thats the idea.the olive could be a pig to get off (very close to the wall), haven't got the original elbow I think the builder disconnected the original shower not sure if it came with one. So is it ptfe tape on the shower threads?
Golden rule I always do..

When its all piped up turn the water on before you power up the electrics.

An electric shower with no power will leave the water inlet solenoid OFF.

(e.g. water don't come shooting out during a power cut!)

So put the water on first and check for signs of any leaks around your inlet before you go putting 230v mains around there as well! :) ;)

Guinness

Don;t follow? What shower is this? Not sure how you'd make that fit on most showers available today. You just need a standard 90 compression.
I am in total concurrences with Mr Lurch on that point..

bog standard 90deg elbow. could be push-fit... or compression

(BUT NOT solder joints! : O)

Traditionally compression used on loadsa Tritions.

PTFE is fine if you know how to use it. Both have their uses and both are fine.
yes if you use it right but i think its fidly and shreads easy. i think the other stuff is easer

yes if you use it right but i think its fidly and shreads easy. i think the other stuff is easer
That's because you're not using it right, there's a knack. ;)