Getting Corn Snake to eat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netblindpaul

Reaction score
Hi all,

My MD just suggested I post in case 'patch or anyone else has some advice!

We have a 2 year old (approx.) corn snake.

We had it from a friend of my daughters, including the vivarium, so she never "left" home!

However, we cannot get her to eat!

We have tried defrosted small mice, and pinkies and various methods of enticing her to eat, and the MD even tried to "force" feed her a pinkie.

She did the cat thing with the butter, and spat it out just like a cat spits out the tablet!

Any suggestions, she seems to be loosing weight, and she has recently shed, so that's not the issue!

Thanks.

Thanks Apache

She is in a heated vivarium at the moment and has fresh water, temerature is around the 80 mark, it has a heat mat under part of the vivarium with a heat lamp also.

We do warm the mice up.

We have had a snake before and that one was a job to get eating when it came too, but this one is a real problem!

As I understand it too live feeding may be illegal.

Something about stressing the feed animal.

Paul

If you do live feeding wont you be teaching the snake how to hunt so next time you put your hand in there ... you will feel the pain lol bad day explode

Hmm,

There are many recorded events of "prey" or feed animals "getting their own back" as it were, many an inexperienced or foolhardy snake keeper has found this to their cost.

We are no experts, hence the posts, but, we do know enough to ask around when we are unhappy, we've also tracked down one of the local experts.

As far as pets go, this is our 2nd snake, we've had loads of hamsters for the kids & the wife had them when she was little and not so little!

We also currently have 2 male rats (brothers), a dog and a pond full of fish!

We used to have a cat, canaries, budgies, cold & tropical aquariums.

So you could say we tend to keep a few pets...

Mad, me...

Hmm,There are many recorded events of "prey" or feed animals "getting their own back" as it were, many an inexperienced or foolhardy snake keeper has found this to their cost.

We are no experts, hence the posts, but, we do know enough to ask around when we are unhappy, we've also tracked down one of the local experts.

As far as pets go, this is our 2nd snake, we've had loads of hamsters for the kids & the wife had them when she was little and not so little!

We also currently have 2 male rats (brothers), a dog and a pond full of fish!

We used to have a cat, canaries, budgies, cold & tropical aquariums.

So you could say we tend to keep a few pets...

Mad, me...
What sort of dog?

A lab/collie cross.

Getting V old now, in fact she had a bit of a turn tonight!

She ran like a puppy after the girls were playing with her through the dining room, down the step into the kitchen and fell on the cushion flloring.

She lost her footing and it looks like she has suffered a small rear left muscle strain.

Not good for a dog to loose its footing like that!

I would post a pic of her in the msg but I don't know how!

?:|

A lab/collie cross.Getting V old now, in fact she had a bit of a turn tonight!

She ran like a puppy after the girls were playing with her through the dining room, down the step into the kitchen and fell on the cushion flloring.

She lost her footing and it looks like she has suffered a small rear left muscle strain.

Not good for a dog to loose its footing like that!

I would post a pic of her in the msg but I don't know how!

?:|
Sounds like a grand dog! :D

OK,

I'll try again, having followed Admin's instructions here we go...

netblindpaul

Ahh,

Try this,

IMG_3505.jpg

edit: Way hay!

Did it!

there must be a way of doing this from pictures on your local pc?

Anyone?...

IMG_3505.jpg

It's just the same in all the forums! either attach it to new post or link when its saved somewhere else (photobucket, flicker)

I still can't put a pic into a forum msg so it can be seen though?

Have I done this before?...

Cracking up!

Hmm,

My girls are 15, they were about 4 (ish) when we got her as a puppy from the local rescue home, so around 11?

Not sure of her DOB, and she was the runt of the litter big time, here rear legs have always been her weak point!

Hmm,My girls are 15, they were about 4 (ish) when we got her as a puppy from the local rescue home, so around 11?

Not sure of her DOB, and she was the runt of the litter big time, here rear legs have always been her weak point!
Back legs often are!

Latest posts