Points served.. (Lighting Circuit)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a quick thought...

For thems what use NICEIC type certificates with "Points Served column"

What would you call a standalone PIR sensor and a light fitting?

1 or 2?

e.g. consider a hypothetical radial circuit supplying one light fitting via a PIR, a fused spur and a manual override switch?

is this 4 points?

or just 1 final load?

:)

I remember I answered a similar question before on how I count the points served.

I would count any point as any point where all tests can be carried out.

For instance any point where all live and dead testing can take place, this would exclude any double insulated class two type, but not entirely as an earth could be taken to that point without connection, and would make a suitable end of line test point.

Ooops I never voted

I remember I answered a similar question before on how I count the points served.I would count any point as any point where all tests can be carried out.

For instance any point where all live and dead testing can take place, this would exclude any double insulated class two type, but not entirely as an earth could be taken to that point without connection, and would make a suitable end of line test point.

Ooops I never voted
Indeed GH! ;)

Its an interesting one that could be interpreted in several ways..

and ALL be correct!

I have heard various interpretations..

e.g. such as your explanation..

others say it is only a point of Load on a circuit..

e.g. a light fitting, or socket, or shower, or cooker etc..

not the switching to control that load?

But if considering any point that tests can be carried out then...

a light switch using loop in method with a neutral as well as live & earth

could be a point served.....

But if using loop a ceiling rose the switch then has NO neutral so is no longer a point served!

:eek: :p:Blushing

Not that is actually has any major critical safety issues...

its an interesting interpretation debate?

Guinness

Just to add....

I generally go for anything on that circuit that consumes some electrical power..

so a PIR consumes some lecktwick

but IHMO light switches are ignored!

:|

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

But then again...

I have had a few GuinnessGuinness

so I may disagree tomorrow!!!

:^O :^O:^O

A light switch with no neutral present does not consume power, just completes a circuit.

Could it be justifiably called a point? Yes I think it could, like you say its often overlooked as being one.

I just think if earth neutral and live are present all tests can be done at that point and should be called one.

For those with the meggar tester that requires no neutral you will have to convince me in other ways :) :)

Ok it was me, I have been rumbled.

Its because of all the work Apache does that goes unrecognised :)

I voted before reading the comments.....and I would class it as 2.

As trailer-yob boy (I`ve got backward typing-itis) says: points are items which have the propensity to be current-consuming.

Please note: word of the day has been provided.

BRB Pg 27 Definition - Point
A termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current-useing equipment,

so i make that each light fitting, each socket, imersion heater and shower

however if your charging

Its 1 switches, pirs etc are not points served I just count the load lights, sockets, fans,

showers,shavers etc.

So you would happily put 12 recessed fittings down as one point served?Your call.

Good luck!
It would help if your point was made as to why you would not! Misinterpretation of your post would lead some to believe you know better?

If so then please let us all know on what the argument is based upon and the definitions to support this view.