Immersion heaters... do you do them?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... just like london busses wait ages then two come together!

Last Tuesday 18th had to go and sort out a bosted immersion heater...

then yesterday.. Tuesday 25th... blow me down..

another bosted immersion heater!

I know some people don't like doing immersion heater replacements..

rather pass it over for a plumber...

So I was just wondering how many of us forumbulites will do an immersion heater change?

?:|

I do a fair bit of maintenance work for a letting agent but I wont do immersion elements, other that test them in situ. Too great a chance of creasing the tank when trying to undo the element and needing to replace the whole tank. Better left to a plumber who is better tooled for this job.

Yes. The trick is changing them over quickly enough, so that all the water doesn't fall out.

;)

normally give it a little tap to see if it will move easily

if not wheres my plumber

the point i am wary of is that im not insured for plumbing disasters !!!!

I do a fair bit of maintenance work for a letting agent but I wont do immersion elements, other that test them in situ. Too great a chance of creasing the tank when trying to undo the element and needing to replace the whole tank. Better left to a plumber who is better tooled for this job.
This my approach, as well as considering the possible flood damage which I would prefer to avoid.

I used to do them come what may,,,

but....

then I had one,, got the old element out, new element in,, refilled and it was leaking a slight bit... :_|

no matter what I couldn't get it to stop leaking so I got my plumber mate out to have a look, he couldn't do anything with it either and faced with the prospect of a new cylinder they said they would rather leave it and see how it went? :| :pray

So now, for all but new cylinders I get my plumber to remove & refit them

I used to do them come what may,,,but....

then I had one,, got the old element out, new element in,, refilled and it was leaking a slight bit... :_|

no matter what I couldn't get it to stop leaking so I got my plumber mate out to have a look, he couldn't do anything with it either and faced with the prospect of a new cylinder they said they would rather leave it and see how it went? :| :pray

So now, for all but new cylinders I get my plumber to remove & refit them
+1

I agree

I used to do them come what may,,,but....

The water around here is so hard that if you have a small leak, you just leave it a few days and it seals itself up!

:^O

Well... just like london busses wait ages then two come together!Last Tuesday 18th had to go and sort out a bosted immersion heater...

then yesterday.. Tuesday 25th... blow me down..

another bosted immersion heater!

?:|
For those who are not familar with the language that is spoken in the strange place that SL comes from , the word " BOSTED " actually means ,to the rest of us who speak the Quanes Inglish , "BROKEN" or unservicable .

For those who are not familar with the language that is spoken in the strange place that SL comes from , the word " BOSTED " actually means ,to the rest of us who speak the Quanes Inglish , "BROKEN" or unservicable .
Cheers! Guinness

:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud:Applaud:Applaud

ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Yowz a ruddy gewd mate awer Deke! :x :x

Doz yow want mushay paes an chips?

I'm a gewwin down the chippy in a bit...

:Blushing :p :C