Home or Trading address

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of us who run our own businesses.

Just wondering who uses their personal home address and who has a "unit".

Why and how close to home

Easy - home.

For a few reasons:

1. My customers (originally 90% domestic) seemed "reassured" we were, like them, ordinary working folk, making a living. At the same time, they KNEW they could find me anytime, `cos they knew where I lived (address is printed on all stationary, business cards etc........)

2. What the heck would I keep in a unit???????

KME

Easy - home.For a few reasons:

1. My customers (originally 90% domestic) seemed "reassured" we were, like them, ordinary working folk, making a living. At the same time, they KNEW they could find me anytime, `cos they knew where I lived (address is printed on all stationary, business cards etc........)

KME
Guinness

Not entirely sure what you are asking, Sidey.

Are you asking us what we use for our business address, or are you asking us where we store stuff?

For the former, despite what Watchdog says, I use my home address. In simple terms that's where I run my business from. As mentioned, I find most Domestic clients are "reassured" that you are local and contactable, not just some pikey living in a caravan who could be gone next week. I have the spare bedroom set out as my office.

If I felt the need for a business address, but did not need a physical unit or office, I'd get a PO Box (our local delivery office is less than 5 mins away).

For the latter, I have been using my garage, but I can't get my cars in any more. So I have just taken a 50% share with a fellow trade in a store room on a local farm. I'm in the process of shelving it out and moving stuff over there. It's about 5 mins drive from home (about 1/2 mile from the edge of town). I'm already finding that I can carry less "stuff" in the van which makes life a lot easier (the van drives better too).

i have a small unit on an ind est - that address is slowly being used for all business stuff now, but previously it was my home address

KME
if you have the space, you will fill it

i have some pallet racking at mine - 12 full pallet bays, and 6 half height pallet bays. all full. and thats just part of it!

I am a Ltd company and my registered address is my home.

If its good enough for companies house its good enough for me. I do have storage facilities at my mates factory if I need it.

Work from home ,Sidey, Small boxroom is the "Office" ,garage is the stores . In my opinion , for this trade ,you don't need to carry loads of stock . I have racking with stuff left over from jobs , ready to be used up.

Never buy anything unless there is a job for it.

Home address, store stuff in basement will be renting a small storage unit when more work calls for it.