2391-10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
Just found out today that I passed my 2391-10 exam. It seemed like an eternity in getting the result for the written part. It was good doing the practical part as you knew on the day, but that's all over with now til something else comes along. GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Great news, well done

Well done, remember the learning never ends.
Cheers!! I agree 100% with that. Everyday I seem to learn something new. That's what makes it interesting..

It wasn't that bad to be honest but I'd done lots of revision. Tips i can give you is read the question properly and to answer every question. You will have plenty of time to do it and try not to get too stressed about it. The people that mark the papers will be looking for key words in your answers.

Agree with Megaohm it does have a reputation of being nails however, I found as long as you understood the question, put loads of detail, you'll pick out the saliant points its not that bad, sounds easy!!

For example if they ask you to explain the sequence for testing a new DB, dont just say isolate the supply, go into detail check you can isolate, test your meter, check against a known source, recheck, isolate, secure with padlock, key in pocket, put upsigns blah blah

Hope that helps.

Well done, 5 of 17 passed in my class so not that easy...

For example if they ask you to explain the sequence for testing a new DB, dont just say isolate the supply, go into detail check you can isolate, test your meter, check against a known source, recheck, isolate, secure with padlock, key in pocket, put upsigns blah blahHope that helps.
And don't forget to use correct terminology for 17th insulation resistance not megger, line not live or phase neutral is a live conductor etc etc

2391........whats the point in domestic enviroments ????

if you can change a consumer unit,,do all the testing,,,,understand the regs,, what does it gain you ??????

it has been pointed out by certain learned members here that you should do a PIR before a cu change

what is you havnt got 2391 ?????

industrial and commercial situations yep i agree

but domestic erm..............

I think the reasons one would do a PIR before change of CU is

1. to make sure there are no hidden probs that you will spend hours investigating and thus prevent you having to subsequently present a huge unexpected bill

2. Check CPC extends to light fittings

3. Ensure earthing and bonding meets current regs

4. To ensure your safety

2391-10 (or 20 if only doing domestics)

1. Helps improve your understanding of testing and inspection

2. Is part of a life long learning curve

3. Is a requirement of many scam providers

4. Is proof of a competancy

5. Helps provide a logical approach to fault finding

This is not meant to be a exhaustive list but you get the gist

I personally do not understand anyone in our industry who wouldnt want a 2391Qual - really interesting course, keeps the old grey matter in tune

I regularly sit and go through the scenarios for fun as I enjoy my work and it keeps me on my toes

well done, just waiting for mine now, took it on june 9th, my son was due to be born on that day too :), he held out for me though :)

I think the reasons one would do a PIR before change of CU is1. to make sure there are no hidden probs that you will spend hours investigating and thus prevent you having to subsequently present a huge unexpected bill

2. Check CPC extends to light fittings

3. Ensure earthing and bonding meets current regs

4. To ensure your safety

2391-10 (or 20 if only doing domestics)

1. Helps improve your understanding of testing and inspection

2. Is part of a life long learning curve

3. Is a requirement of many scam providers

4. Is proof of a competancy

5. Helps provide a logical approach to fault finding

This is not meant to be a exhaustive list but you get the gist

I personally do not understand anyone in our industry who wouldnt want a 2391Qual - really interesting course, keeps the old grey matter in tune

I regularly sit and go through the scenarios for fun as I enjoy my work and it keeps me on my toes
We had the structured question regarding a marina. I've never worked at a marina myself but i remembered what our instructer said. It is an electrical installation!!! So I read the information that was given me and went from there. It certainly gets the grey matter going..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:30 ----------

well done, just waiting for mine now, took it on june 9th, my son was due to be born on that day too :), he held out for me though :)
I hope you get the result you're after.I take it the practical all done and out of the way, so just the dreaded wait. I can say it's a big relief when you read the word pass!! on your paper when you do get it. Good luck to you and congratulations on the birth of your Son

2391........whats the point in domestic enviroments ????if you can change a consumer unit,,do all the testing,,,,understand the regs,, what does it gain you ??????

it has been pointed out by certain learned members here that you should do a PIR before a cu change

what is you havnt got 2391 ?????

industrial and commercial situations yep i agree

but domestic erm..............
Sorry but the 2391-10 is needed. If you aint got it you aren't (on paper or in a court of law) competent to Inspect, test & certificate installations.

Yes you do need it for domestic installations!!! The amount of times I've gone in to an installation and read previous EIC's & Periodic reports thats aren't worth the use as toilet paper is endless. So called competent people can't write them.

When the new rules for QS comes out I hope it states must have the city & guilds 2391, 17th edition and NVQ3 in domestic installation.

The 2391 sorts the men from the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.