2391 or 2394/2395

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSH1601

Reaction score
If I take my 2391 this year will I still need to the 94&95 at a later date?! Shall I hold off 2391 and just do the 2394/5 next year?

What's people's thoughts?

If I take my 2391 this year will I still need to the 94&95 at a later date?! Shall I hold off 2391 and just do the 2394/5 next year?What's people's thoughts?
I think the last date for registration on a 2391 course is either the end of this month or next. Hopefully someone can confirm this. In the same boat.

I've spoken to a few training centres and my college on this, personally i'm not doing the 2391 and waiting to do the 2395 early next year. As my tutor said even though 2391 is a very reputable qualification it may end up that on your CV having 2395 would be better to future employers, In job descriptions they may well be asking for 2395 and not 2391 qualified. Not sure how much difference it will make but he kind of makes sense. Same as when they transitioned from 16th to 17th edition. I have also been told not to bother with the 2394 as this is exactly the same course as the 2395 however it doesn't cover periodic inspections, and if you ever have to do these you would need to go back and do the 2395 which means paying twice.

I can't see how 2395 would be more desirable to the employer, a toned down, easier version of 2391.

I know what I would prefer!

A colleague has told me that the 2395 is only

necessary if the candidate wants to do the

periodics.

The 2392 is updating to 2394, by the inclusion

of three-phase testing.

This means, according to my colleague, that full

testing on all new installations including 3 phase

is covered by the 2394.

HTH and I am sure that my colleague is correct.

So it looks like I'll be doing 2394&5 in August! Best start reading up!!

I have asked the question in places of those who know. Whilst we all can acknowledge the achievement of gaining the 2391 qualification we also have to keep up to date with all new qualifications.I have been so advised that it is best to hold out and take the latest qualifications as these will show that you are up to speed on all the recent additions and amendments.

All this said by me who did an exam previous to the 2391! Looks like I need some more training.