Advice on what to do next.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsalam

Reaction score
Hi fellow sparkys ,

I would be very grateful if i could gauge the knowledge of electricians on what. Should do h3xt in m career to become an electrician.

I completed my L2 & 3 City and Guilds last year aswel as obtaining my ECS. I been working under a domestic electrician from March this year.

I am working two days a week and have gained a tremendous experience. I am not sure on what I should do next, NVQ LEVEL3, 18th edition? I want to continue to gain experience in my current role at ATMOS Electrical but also continue to study and become a qualified electrician. My current role is heavily domestic but I informed by a course provider that NVQ require evidence of work done in an industrial action.

any advice on what I should do now would be grateful.

Thanks

You will need to do the NVQ Lvl3, the AM2, you should not have to do 18th Edition as you are trained to this.
Is there a reason why you only do two days a week? Are you working in a different position the rest of the week?

Hi , same as Sharpend said earlier .
I did my level 3 a good few years ago before AM 2 became a must have ,however you will need industrial and commercial plus domestic evidence based work plus write ups to show understanding of what your doing , if you can't find a company to gain the evidence and assignments needed to show this in all fields you could do what I did and work via agency's as a improver .
This way you should get or be able to target jobs in the fields you are lacking .
It's not a quick fix and you will have to self fund your NVQ . I started at the bottom as a mate to get into the industry as a mature student ,however I will never know as much or be as experienced as those who did full bona fide apprenticeships.
Wish I had been more sensible in my youth and gone for less money and better later term prospects .
Good luck with it 👍

You will need to do the NVQ Lvl3, the AM2, you should not have to do 18th Edition as you are trained to this.
Is there a reason why you only do two days a week? Are you working in a different position the rest of the week?
Thank you for the help. So if I do the NVQ l3 and AM2 I would not need to do the 18th?

I just started the position in March and it’s a small company that required someone to work 2 days a week. It’s my first role so I wanted to get to grips with it but have the opportunity now to do more days. I am also looking for more local roles because I am travelling quiet far out to St Albans when I’m from London.

Hi , same as Sharpend said earlier .
I did my level 3 a good few years ago before AM 2 became a must have ,however you will need industrial and commercial plus domestic evidence based work plus write ups to show understanding of what your doing , if you can't find a company to gain the evidence and assignments needed to show this in all fields you could do what I did and work via agency's as a improver .
This way you should get or be able to target jobs in the fields you are lacking .
It's not a quick fix and you will have to self fund your NVQ . I started at the bottom as a mate to get into the industry as a mature student ,however I will never know as much or be as experienced as those who did full bona fide apprenticeships.
Wish I had been more sensible in my youth and gone for less money and better later term prospects .
Good luck with it 👍

Thanks for this information ! I’m in a similar situation, I retrained quite late in my age as I wanted a career change.

With the NVQ L3 is there a time limit to complete the write ups and portfolios once I pay for it? I think there’s a lot of things I am doing in my current role in domestic I could be evidencing but I don’t know what exactly they are looking for.

Do they give you a list when you pay for the course ?

Any help on the structure of the NVQ would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

I completed my L2 & 3 City and Guilds
what course was it ,
if it was 2365 then that should be under the 18th ed, you should not have to take a separate 18th ed exam
but you will need to do an NVQ( don't think this is a Level 3), then AM2 or AM2s, and then after that a C&G 2392-10 (This is a NVQ level 3)

Not sure how long you have for the NVQ (but I have read anything from 6 months to 3 years )

what course was it ,
if it was 2365 then that should be under the 18th ed, you should not have to take a separate 18th ed exam
but you will need to do an NVQ( don't think this is a Level 3), then AM2 or AM2s, and then after that a C&G 2392-10 (This is a NVQ level 3)

Not sure how long you have for the NVQ (but I have read anything from 6 months to 3 years )

Oh upto 3 years is good, I thought it would be much shorter. Thanks

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts