Bathroom Electrics, 240V Non Ip Downlights.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a building regulation about a steamy room?

Top entry of accessories should be IP4X anywhere.

Within the special location (zones 1,2,3) items do need better IP ratings.

The OP's room is 2310mm tall so out of the special location.

I agree it would be better to have a fitting with greater IP rating for protection. But the company who installed it has not broken any rules fitting a regular fitting. They should have supplied a minor works cert though.
there are lots and lots of building regulations, and one area particularly forgotten is penatrating ceilings in upstairs rooms. Apart from preventing steam rising out of a room to condense in an attic space possibly risking damp in timbers and eventually rot, there are also regs about preventing cold drafts back into an upstairs room. The only way to meet these requirements is by using IP rated fittings. As far as steam goes, it doesn't apply to just the zones, it applies to the whole room as an 'environment' as stated previously. I don't know what downlighters yuo've been fitting, but I've never seen one with more than finger and vague dust protection unless designed for external use,  IP4x does not apply to moisture anyway. That's protection against objects 1mm diameter.

So this company is most certainly breaking regs, but more importantly, if they are cutting corners on a few lights, what else haven't they done! They just have the wrong attitude.

there are lots and lots of building regulations, and one area particularly forgotten is penatrating ceilings in upstairs rooms. Apart from preventing steam rising out of a room to condense in an attic space possibly risking damp in timbers and eventually rot, there are also regs about preventing cold drafts back into an upstairs room. The only way to meet these requirements is by using IP rated fittings. As far as steam goes, it doesn't apply to just the zones, it applies to the whole room as an 'environment' as stated previously. I don't know what downlighters yuo've been fitting, but I've never seen one with more than finger and vague dust protection unless designed for external use, IP4x does not apply to moisture anyway. That's protection against objects 1mm diameter.

So this company is most certainly breaking regs, but more importantly, if they are cutting corners on a few lights, what else haven't they done! They just have the wrong attitude.
I agree it's a poor show.

What reg from which document can the OP quote when he complains?

In an existing property do building regulations apply or is for new builds and renovation, extensions etc ??
Yes./sort of Is short answer.

For example part-f ventilation, regards a fan In bathroom. If it had one before you must put one back. If it didn't have one you dont have to fit one.

Yes./sort of Is short answer.

For example part-f ventilation, regards a fan In bathroom. If it had one before you must put one back. If it didn't have one you dont have to fit one.
Same with Part L and M, as with switch and socket heights, normally if no building inspector is involved then keep it safe.

BC tend to regard re-furbing a complete room as pretty much new-build, or at least they do in my area. Personally I would have fitted a fan to keep shiny new bathroom mould free.

BC tend to regard re-furbing a complete room as pretty much new-build, or at least they do in my area. Personally I would have fitted a fan to keep shiny new bathroom mould free.
i would point out to BC that in there documents there is a difference between refurbished and new.

has been several times - don't get me strated on fire-rated downlights, fire compartment definitions,  and a lathe and plaster ceiling - I won that argument :^O

Thanks for all the info on this,

I have sent 2 emails to the company and have received a total of 0 replies lol,

My preferred way to contact them is via email so that everything that I have said is written down, so there can be no confusion, although I might need to phone and speak to somebody if they dont reply to my next one.