Blimey New Business Energy Rates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My IT shop has energy from Opus, we have 3 phase supply and we use around 2000kWh per month, 30p per kWh plus other bits and pieces KVA availability etc. The standing charge for the last 2 years has been 85p per day. I have just phoned for renewal prices and all of it is pretty such the same except the standing charge which is no £8.56 per day, I was speechless and have not renewed. How on earth can they justify 1000% increase?

I feel a generator purchase coming on LOL.

I do feel some of these energy suppliers are trying it on how can they justify such an increase when I doubt their admin costs have suffered such an inflationary increase

My IT shop has energy from Opus, we have 3 phase supply and we use around 2000kWh per month, 30p per kWh plus other bits and pieces KVA availability etc. The standing charge for the last 2 years has been 85p per day. I have just phoned for renewal prices and all of it is pretty such the same except the standing charge which is no £8.56 per day, I was speechless and have not renewed. How on earth can they justify 1000% increase?

I feel a generator purchase coming on LOL.
I have a three phase supply to my shed. They try that and they will be getting their meter back...

john..

I have a three phase supply to my shed. They try that and they will be getting their meter back...

john..
We inherited the supply when we bought the building 18 months ago. It has an 'availability' of 1230 kVA and has a half hour meter. I need to downgrade the supply capability to 150 kVA, our max usage is 80kVA but to do this they need to change the meter to a smart meter instead of the half hour meter thats fitted. I have made the request but i need a registered electrician to put their reg number on the form stating what the current readings are (7.5, 7.5 & 5.8 amps). Once I can do that I can then get it all downrated which then opens up the field to other suppliers when we no longer have a half hour meter.

Further update, after weeks of discussion with our energy supplier the changes are finally happening tomorrow, our meter will be remotely downgraded from a half hour meter to a smart meter and a different meter operator will be responsible for it. I have already got some energy quotes for October when our contract expires. Standing charge instead of £8.56 per day will be 44p per day, the unit rate peak down from 30p to 26p and the off peak from 24p to 18p. No availability surcharge either. So fingers crossed it will have been worthwhile the grief we've had to contend with to sort this out.

Latest posts