Central Heating Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plonky

Reaction score
Hi all. It's my 1st time so please be gentle. I have been installing central heating timer switches for a while now. This is my only experience in electrics. I have never done anything else electrical. Recently I went and did an electrical course to get me ready for Part-P and I am waiting for a assesor to come round from ELECSA.

My question is how do you test a central heating system, ie R1, R2, ZS etc? I was taught how to test lighting circuits and ring mains and this seemed to be done at where ever the furthest point was. Do I just test in the junction box where all the cables from the stat's, valves etc join up. I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I really don't know!

i just test upto the FCU that feeds the boiler... you cant go much further....but do check that the boiler and all of the piping is earthed...

Up to the plug / fused spur that feeds the CH system is as far as you generally need to go, as far as BS7671 is concerned. I generally do an insulation test, put no earth loop tests.

KME

Hi all. It's my 1st time so please be gentle. I have been installing central heating timer switches for a while now. This is my only experience in electrics. I have never done anything else electrical. Recently I went and did an electrical course to get me ready for Part-P and I am waiting for a assesor to come round from ELECSA.My question is how do you test a central heating system, ie R1, R2, ZS etc? I was taught how to test lighting circuits and ring mains and this seemed to be done at where ever the furthest point was. Do I just test in the junction box where all the cables from the stat's, valves etc join up. I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I really don't know!
If it was not for questions like this there would be no need for a forum.