Connecting 3 core flex to 2 core

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie501

Reaction score
I am changing my strip lights in the garage for LED ones.
The old strip lights have the flex going straight into them.
The new led lights have a 2 core cable.
What’s the best way to connect the flex to the 2 core?

Would a block connector do the trick or is there a better option.

Just to avoid confusion, I have popped a junction box on the existing flex which can be seen in the first pic.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A properly enclosed junction box is suitable for joining any cable arrangement..

However I cannot see a junction box in the first picture..?
Just some open terminal connector strip with live unsheathed cables exposed which is not acceptable...

Personally I would have converted the existing fittings for use with LED tubes and just swapped the tubes out..

As it comes with a pre connected flex, I assume this Screwfix item is a sealed fitting with no replaceable parts? which I wouldn't have chosen, as when the light fails you have probably got to replace the whole fitting not just a lamp! and it only has a 12 month warranty!

I am changing my strip lights in the garage for LED ones.
The old strip lights have the flex going straight into them.
The new led lights have a 2 core cable.
What’s the best way to connect the flex to the 2 core?

Would a junction box do the trick or is there a better option.

Just to avoid confusion, I have popped a junction box on the existing flex which can be seen in the first pic.

Any help would be very much appreciated
You need to enclose that terminal block strip in a junction box like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5a-4-terminal-junction-box-white/8906D
then it'll be fine

They aren't suitable for connecting flexible cords as they incorporate no restraint nor are they suitable luminaire couplers
not sure I can agree with that, the restraint is only needed if the flex is going to be pulled or have a weight attached to it, the flex can be clipped in place to stop strain being applied to the flex and I don't know what "luminaire couplers " have to do with this?

I am not saying that is what I would do, but I cant see what is so wrong with it

Latest posts