Consumer unit - Neutral bar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
Hey guys

Would I be right to say that if I touch the neutral bar in the consumer unit i'd get a shock? I would've thought the answer would be yes as current will be flowing through it back to the main switch and beyond but I've been given 2 different answers so I just wanted to check with you guys :)

NO! under normal conditions.

But if you were to remove the neutral of a circuit under load, there would be a PD of 240 (230) volts between the removed neutral and the neutral bar ;)

KME

NO! under normal conditions.But if you were to remove the neutral of a circuit under load, there would be a PD of 240 (230) volts between the removed neutral and the neutral bar ;)

KME
So in that case if I touched the busbar I wouldn't get a shock either then?

you would complete circuit so may not live to telll the tale.
If the circuit were already complete (the MCB was on and, for example, the light was on) then there would be 0V PD so I wouldn't get a shock?

Which busbar?

Neutral is(should be) at or near earth potential -

Live busbar is at 230V with respect to earth - touching that makes you part of a circuit, unless you aren`t in contact with the general mass of earth at the time......

Hey guysWould I be right to say that if I touch the neutral bar in the consumer unit i'd get a shock? I would've thought the answer would be yes as current will be flowing through it back to the main switch and beyond but I've been given 2 different answers so I just wanted to check with you guys :)
The simple answer is no, you can touch almost every part inside a CU without harm. If you do get a shock from anything you have failed in the first basic principle and regulation.

SAFE ISOLATION.

For you to touch anything inside a CU the power will be off and no voltage present with the exception of the incommer.

Is your post serious or do you want to die ?. If you pi$$ about like that you will soon find that the muscles of your hands will be clamped onto the afformentioned Busbars and mains voltage will be passing up your arms ,across the frontal lobes of your brain and across your chest , this will quickly cause defribrillation of your heart causing it to cease beating, and there will be terrible burns to your hands and the smell of burning flesh will permeate the building , which should assist the emergency services in finding your body when they arrive to sweep you up. If the power is still on , your organs will be fried and your bowells will have opened, generally adding to the stench .

Do have a nice day.

Latest posts