depth of cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
I have my sister hassling me about how far down their Virgin Media cable should be (Coming in and out of the ground making a mess of her garden).

Considering the regulation in BGB doesn't even state a depth for LV cable, she won't accept none as an answer, trawling the net I found some people on other forums say 6", but does anyone know of a depth for data cabling?

All cables should be installed according to environmental issues, there are guidelines that give depths at which it could reasonably be acceptable as a safe depth. Under a concrete slab for instance the depth would not be critical, in a flower bed it would, so obviously the depth would change according to the environment and fauna.

A lawn could be expected to be spiked as an irrigation method, but not turned over, so the depth could reasonably be just a little deeper than the lawn spikes. However the last cable I laid in a lawn was to a depth of 1100mm, and marked with tape above at 800mm.

6" does not look like a reasonable depth, but I doubt it is against any regulation because data cable guys and sky engineers never use BS7671.

I have my sister hassling me about how far down their Virgin Media cable should be (Coming in and out of the ground making a mess of her garden).Considering the regulation in BGB doesn't even state a depth for LV cable, she won't accept none as an answer, trawling the net I found some people on other forums say 6", but does anyone know of a depth for data cabling?
As a general rule it is quite hard to get a serious electric shock off any telecommunications cables..

as such the only inconvenience to the cable being accidentally cut is loss of service...

You could go out and cut through the cable with uninsulated cutters and bare feet without too much of a zap!

If the phone happens to be ringing at the time then a bit more current is flowing....

you can cut and terminate live telephone cables without too much hassle...

and the data side isn't much worse...

The bottom line is:-

Cost to install -vs- Safety and dangers due to installation method...

Cheapest and quickest wins providing they are not endangering the public!

;)

I've basically told her to use external influences as her argument.

cheers for the replies

On our estate virgin network laid cables from the street to each house in green flexi conduit, along the borderline fence in front garden, actually on the surface!
Our neighbours front garden.....

can you spot the black cable through the undergrowth?? :C

IMG01171-20120220-0836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
they all sound realy neat compared to my installation, literally thrown up my concrete driveway because they cant fix using anything but hammerclips.... pain in the arse, every time the wife backs in she manages to drive over it! selling the house this year so its goin to get cut off and thrown in the road. useless gits

Just for reference....

IF....

the cables were under a public highway...

The guidance is something like this...

underground.jpg

Sorry wrong picture!!! :p

:Blushing

Should be this one.....

; \

underground2mfootway.jpg

ROTFWLGuinness

We had cable put in when when it was originaly NTL, the cable was buried all of 2" deep......forward to a few months ago & (we have changed some 2 years ago to virgin) I run over the cable where it drop down the curb into our garden & it snaps in two.

Out comes the virgin bloke & he just runs a new length from the house to the street & joints it.................this cable is loose along the drive way (will photo later), "how much is that going to cost me" thinking I'd caused the fault so would have to pay..

"Not a bean mate"

Apparently the original contractors who put the NTL stuff in just lobbed in the cables expecting a certain amount of call backs, when they reached a set level of call backs they declaired bankruptcy so voiding any warranty on the cable installation...

Now the next company buys the network & is tied in by contracts for the installation external to properties where by they can not charge for any repairs, due to the cables not being buried deep enough.

Thats what the man said.