Diversity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only just starting to come in. Was at the last Napit event. Its to avoid circuits that are high use high current (ev) overheating theirs and neighbouring mcbs/rcbos. As ev chargers are high load over a long period.

Hence why Lewden now have a 39 way board
Sounds like more nonsense from NAPIT to me, night storage heater boards have been working fine for decades. Never done this in commercial / industrial 3 phase boards either. All MCBs are supposed to be rated for their max ampage in continuous use, so if there's an issue, they should be shaming/ naming shite MCB manufacturers.

I think it's a reaction to the government's let's go all electric idea, and the realisation that it's gonna cause massive issues.

Plus it's a European EN thing as well.

Cripes !! I just had a flick through that article , got to the bit about a 32 amp charger mcb ending up needing to be a 63 amp with cable sized to match that due to derating factor for mcbs grouped together . FFS just put it in its own enclosure where possible and avoid oversized boards ,or should builders supply a plant room 😄.
I for one think the excessive use of the planets mineral resources, I.e copper for 1 example shouldn't mean fitting larger and larger cables .
As to the ops predicament with Napit it seems absurd and I agree he should demand another opinion and free re-assesment .
I think I will have a problem this year as on a minor works customer didn't want a A type rcd installed in his old board as he had a previous eicr recommending he has a board change which he said he is soon . I marked my cert accordingly ,Job was to install a single socket on existing ring final circuit , now I expect doing that may cost me at assesment , I don't think for this sort of job we should be changing existing rcd ac type it's ludicrous ! ps also a third floor apartment so no chance of socket being used outside .
rant over 😄

Latest posts