EAL Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technology (Electrical/Electronic)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mql

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in need of help...

I want to become a qualified Electrician & I'm looking to study an "EAL Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technology (Electrical/Electronic)" course. Can anyone confirm that this course will make me a qualified electrician? And can someone tell me what this course is equivalent to regarding City & Guilds Qualifications. Apparently this course I am looking to study is a Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ) Certificate, is VRQ recognised everywhere?

Much help possible is appreciated as I am looking to enrol on Monday.

Thanks

This is (unless I`m mistaken), the "part `p`" course.

It does NOT "make you a qualified electrician".

In my humble opinion, it makes you a mug for handing out so much money to these numpties, who want you to believe this is what it`ll do for you.

Let me ask you a question. I`ve seen the adverts on telly for a certain brand of deodorant, which makes men into irresistable sex objects, as far as women are concerned. Do you believe it will work?

Exactly the same type of thing. Marketing strategy aimed at the more gullible members of society, as far as I am concerned (bit like the national lottery - a tax on those who`re bad at maths).

(as an aside - You`re more likely to be hit by the falling satellite than win the lottery. Fact.)

Save your money, and go for the "proper" C&G course. All the other course will do is give you enough knowledge to prospectively kill someone.

KME

I have just found out now that I have to get an NVQ 3, despite working for 7 years in the trade. I think I have enough work to show them, fault finding etc. The current NVQ system is geared more towards com/ind, so I am not quite sure how that works out with Part P.

AndyGuinness

This is (unless I`m mistaken), the "part `p`" course.It does NOT "make you a qualified electrician".

In my humble opinion, it makes you a mug for handing out so much money to these numpties, who want you to believe this is what it`ll do for you.

Let me ask you a question. I`ve seen the adverts on telly for a certain brand of deodorant, which makes men into irresistable sex objects, as far as women are concerned. Do you believe it will work?

Exactly the same type of thing. Marketing strategy aimed at the more gullible members of society, as far as I am concerned (bit like the national lottery - a tax on those who`re bad at maths).

(as an aside - You`re more likely to be hit by the falling satellite than win the lottery. Fact.)

Save your money, and go for the "proper" C&G course. All the other course will do is give you enough knowledge to prospectively kill someone.

KME
it does work !!!!

never failed to pull on a 'grab a granny' night wearing that stuff !!!!!

Can we stick on the topic and keep the jokes aside please.

I was told that this course can help me become an Electrician (As long as I complete 17th Edition & Part P), is that right?

If I complete this course, would I still have to complete C&G 2356?

mql,

We are a jolly bunch on here you'll get used to us taking the mickey out of each other, it is intended in good spirit.

What is the course number on the EAL site please?

I can then advise further.

OK,

As I see this qualification (having proofed some of the early EAL qualifications, this is a modern apprenticeship level, so yes IMHO it will qualify you as an electrician, but not an installation electrician, it will be more geared to maintenance and fault finding on engineering systems than it will construction based electrical installations, it is doubtful that you will cover all aspects of electrical installations in buildings covered by BS7671, though you will probably cover a plethora of other areas which are not referenced by BS7671.

OK,As I see this qualification (having proofed some of the early EAL qualifications, this is a modern apprenticeship level, so yes IMHO it will qualify you as an electrician, but not an installation electrician, it will be more geared to maintenance and fault finding on engineering systems than it will construction based electrical installations, it is doubtful that you will cover all aspects of electrical installations in buildings covered by BS7671, though you will probably cover a plethora of other areas which are not referenced by BS7671.
And your not sure if you should go into teaching :)

This reply shows you know the subject and are prepared to go the extra mile to give a good answer, have one of kme's beers on me :)

Thank you Sidewinder, your answer really does clear up some grey areas for me.

Do you know what sort of certificate/qualification I will get after completion of this course?

& about what you previously said, can I study C&G 17th Edition & C&G Part P to become an electrician working on domestic houses & installion?

mql,

It appears that you would achieve an NVQ L3 in electrical / electronic engineering, your exact course would depend on the modules offered by the college.

There are other courses which are directed more specifically toward construction electrical installations.

However, traditionally, (waits for the flack!) industrial and maintenance guys have found the transition into building wiring easier than the converse.

Ah ok.

May I ask to see a link to the source which states the NVQ L3 please... I was told it was a VRQ course, is VRQ better then NVQ & C&G?

i completed the eal level 3 in electrotechnical enineering this year and was told that it was the equivilant of a level 3 in city & guilds.. It was explained to me that it was used in the army and will be recognised in the same way as the city & guilds qualification... hope that helps. passed my 17th edition straight after and now taking my 2391 which i am told is changing in january.

I can't provide a definitive link at this point, it would be necessary to look at the qualifications framework and see where this one fits in.

However from the link it seems to be a vocational qualification al level 3

Latest posts