Earthing Arrangement Of C/u

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cueball1978

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a TN-S system with an ancient re-wireable fuse box that needs changing. It is situated at the very front of the house. My gas service pipe is under the stairs approx 4 meters away and the water service pipe is in the kitchen on the other side of the house. I cannot connect earth wires to the pipes as they are more than 600mm away from the new c/u. Is there anything I can do or should the earth just be upgraded into the c/u (16mm earth wire).

Many thanks

Stacy

The bonding should be clamped within 600mm of the stop tap/gas meter where you can, its not related to the proximity of the c/u.

You will need to run main equipotential bonding to both water & gas It doesn't matter that they are more than 600mm away from the new cu.

1. lift a couple of floor boards and run the cable under the rooms.
  2. run the cable surface in trunking.
  3. go round the outside of the property coming back in to the locations of gas/water (assuming its not mid terrace)
you also have the regs wording that goes something like "connection should be made as close as is practicably possible to point of entry into the building"

So if you can connect to the pipe work of both gas/water at a point closer than going across the house to point of entry, making a note on your test cert you'll be issuing for the cu change.

Not ideal but doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regs do say "within 600mm of the services entering the property or where reasonably practical"

You should also Make clear on your certificate where the bonding has been done and leave a note at the cu so the next spark doesn't have to take your cu apart to find something to slag you off about, he can just read your note and suck air through his teeth whilst muttering 'bl**dy 5 week wonders....' blah blah blah 'this is wrong that's wrong rubbish cu anyway who uses __________ (fill in cu of you choice) these days cheap crap'

:)

. I cannot connect earth wires to the pipes as they are more than 600mm away from the new c/u. Is there anything I can do or should the earth just be upgraded into the c/u (16mm earth wire).Many thanks

Stacy

Probably one of the most useful things to do is go back and re-read pages 39 -44 of the On-Site-guide...

aka...

"Earthing & bonding 4"

it covers pretty well 100% of your question...

Domestic CU earthing & bonding is not to difficult a concept to grasp, and any person working in or around CU's..

or doing any moves changes..

temporary or permanent ..

should be sufficiently knowledgeable of these Earthing and Bonding arrangments...

Otherwise.. how are they going to comply with 132.16??

:C

Or..

if you are trying to follow the logic that gas pipes, water pipes and CU must all be within 600mm of each other..

the alternative is split the installation into two small CUs & fit them within 600mm of each service!!!

:popcorn

Thanks for responses. I Seem to have taken the 600mm literally. Looks like I'll be doing some drilling and lifting, happy days.

Cheers again

Hi thereI have a TN-S system with an ancient re-wireable fuse box that needs changing. It is situated at the very front of the house. My gas service pipe is under the stairs approx 4 meters away and the water service pipe is in the kitchen on the other side of the house. I cannot connect earth wires to the pipes as they are more than 600mm away from the new c/u. Is there anything I can do or should the earth just be upgraded into the c/u (16mm earth wire).

Many thanks

Stacy
only thing you can do is move CU closer to gas. you will probably have to move the water supply too, so that its next to the gas meter & CU

Cuball don't take it to hart. These guys are a great friendly group. Sometimes we forget that others might not have a good understanding of Bs7671

I myself seem to forget bits. But that's why the dam think always seems to be stuck in my hands