Existing fire rated downlights; to shallow for 3w led lamp, any ideas please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddlefreak1

Reaction score
Hello,

There are 12 x 50w gu10 240V halogen lamps in the kitchen fitted in fire rated downlights on 2 separate circuits, 6 and 6.

It is a 2 storey dwelling and fittings installed in a plasterboard ceiling.

Basically my query is this; existing lamps persistently blow? not always the same fittings, but often. Obviously there is the issue of air circulation and possible overheating caused by the very hot lamps but could anything else be causing the constant demise of lamps. (other than cheap lamps).

Wiring is ok, no odour of overheating (although seal at the lip of the fitting against the ceiling reeks on closer inspection) no flickering, no dimmer or soft start switching (which would be better). Am I missing something? They cannot stay as they are...

Almost a solution; install cool white, 3w LED lamps (not the 7w longer type). The problem is then that the fire rated body is about 2mm to shallow for the length of the lamp to be retained correctly/satisfactorily (I do not know the brand of fitting at this time). So in the interest of cost and taking into consideration the lower operating temperatures would it be acceptable to simply replace the fire rated fitting with a standard gu10 fitting? My theory, based on the fact that it is a house over 2 floors and not 3 negates the requirement for fire rated fittings, I understand that the fire rating is regarding the time a barrier is maintained against fire and not the prevention of fire caused by the fitting/lamp itself.

Alternatively, is there a deeper (to carry longer lamp), reasonably priced equivalent, brushed chrome fire rated fitting available? Surely there must be with the recent explosion in LED lamps.

Is it feasible that the enclosed space created by the fire rated fitting may prevent the LED lamp from cooling properly (I refer to the integrated cooling fins here) and subsequently shorten the life of the lamp, possibly in a similar fashion to a standard halogen? This would not be a good result either!

Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

No not fixed holder but the 'canister' is very tight both in length and breadth, hence the lack of space. They are about five years old. (not sure of the relevance of age though)

Caged should work ok! Something like the ansell icage perhaps, any idea of cost bearing in mind the outlay for LED lamps?

I don't install a great deal of downlights!

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not think you will get light output from 3 watt led's. I still think CFL's are the better long term option. I have them in my kitchen and like the light output. I have fiited some 6 watt LED's recently and out of about 14 three have failed within three months the light output is excellent but i am worried about these failures.

Do not replace Fire fittings with non fire ones as you have just reduced the fire rating of the ceiling and breeched the building regulations. You can not reduce the effectivness of a fire barrier.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:27 ----------

If the lamps are to be dimmed, led is much better than cfl. The cfl (megaman ones at least) take a while to warm up and should be started on full which is not always possible with the low load dimmers.

they are slightly taller Noz,

TBH, saying that, almost all the LEDs I have used have been about the same height,

the only issues I have ever had is the width at the bottom, some of them dont have the step like a halogen does, and its becomes a tight fit,

esp on fittings with a circlip retention system usually.

Latest posts