flucturating shower temp & Flickering lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
What might be causing the temperature of a shower to flucturate?

Last edited by a moderator:
My landing light flickers and does a buzzing noise every now and again, is this dangerous?

Check the current while it is on. A clamp meter should be used.

The temperature control is (usually) done by altering the position

of a by-pass valve to permit a variable flow of cold, with a constant

flow of water through the heater.

Alternatively, water flow variations may be operating the low flow

switch, which will turn the power off and on.

HTH

If the lamp is a tungsten, there is a loose connection.

If it is a high efficiency bulb it is probably about to fail.

They may work intermittently as they age.

Could be scaled up heating element, hose or shower head....bif it's an old shower that is?

BTW every instantaneous shower that I have seen alters the temperature by altering the flow of water through the element with power settings altered by changing the Kw of the heating element.

depends how much the temp fluctuates. if its hot then cold, probably thermal cutout on the top, which switches both elements.

if its hot then warm, probably thermal cutout on output which usually switches only 1 element

As you have also posted about your shower temp fluctuates check all terminals in your CU.

As you have also posted about your lights flickering I paosted on there to check all your terminations in your CU.

Ah the plot thickens Watson , we have flickering lights too. So as Sceptical suggests then.

As said above , I have seen the rose on the shower head get silted up , reduces the water flow, water super heats in the cylinder, overheat device trips , water goes cold, device trips in again .

As you have also posted about your lights flickering I paosted on there to check all your terminations in your CU.
TBH that would be the 2nd thing I would check, 1st off I would look under the kitchen stink to see if I had evil gnome who lived in the kitchen stink cupboard & played with taps on the stink whilst I showered.,

We don't have great water pressure. Our neighbours using water can sometimes affect our flow and make the shower very hot very quickly.

Showers...be very careful. It is a good idea to drop the

shower head in bleach every now and again, or if a green

fungus is seen to form around the holes.

Legionnaire's disease began in just this area in America.

I am told that it is more likely in hard water areas but I

do not have independent confirmation of that.

I am sure I would be corrected if it was not.

Too high a power shower resulting in excessive volt drop will cause flicking lights. Too high a power rating shower could cause cable terminations to overheat. How old is the shower, how long has the problem existed? (I have merged your questions, as has been already pointed out they may be interrelated.) Washing machines & dishwashers will also cause a power temperature to fluctuate.

Doc H.

Showers...be very careful. It is a good idea to drop the shower head in bleach every now and again, or if a green

fungus is seen to form around the holes.

Legionnaire's disease began in just this area in America.

I am told that it is more likely in hard water areas but I

do not have independent confirmation of that.

I am sure I would be corrected if it was not.
Heard exactly that the other day from the air /heat pump guys on the farm job.

They asked for an immersion heater supply to their cylinder , a timer has to switch this on once a week to raise the water temperature to kill all the French Legionnairs hiding in the water.

He reckoned the shower heads were a higher risk .

Very true deke had that on the air source jobbie i did only thing was the control unit supplied was wired wrong and as it was on two RCBO's it kept tripping them out so i had to do a bit of reconfiguring. Alright on dual RCD boards as long as they were on the same RCD but no good on RCBO's.

^

double N - E feeds,

I hate SP RCBOs with a passion, has anyone else noticed this.? :|

although, I have found that they are OK on C types, still no protection on the N though,,,,,

Latest posts