Forum down

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may mock,  but those of us who are at the cutting edge of technology ....us technocrats  who have ridden the techno whirlwind into the present day  have left you cat's whisker fiddlers in the starting blocks  ...  you Rawlplug Tool & lump hammer brigade ........I've seen your posts in the Computer section .... " I 'm disappointed in my new PC  , when I shut down theres no one saying  .." Well thank you for viewing tonight and don't forget to switch your monitor off , now I'll leave you with the National Anthem  and perhaps we'll see you all again at 5 pm  for Children's Hour .   Goodnight children everywhere  ...Goodnight . " 

Yes the day of the thermionic valve is about to end ,   like your drainpipe trousers ...its time to cast off your paisley pattern bell bottoms  and take that quantum leap into the 1970,s   the day of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the floppity disc is here.

Anyway I'm the only one on here who knows exactly where to kick our servers . ;)    What the others don't know is you also have to turn 'em off & back on very quickly .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorted now,

I've just ordered a big bulk bag of heavy duty rubber bands that are HP compatible, so hopefully, thats my computer sorted for the next 6 months, and I should be able to sort any outtages within minutes rather than hours, as previously I used to have to use old bits of sock elastic to do temporary repairs.  :|

I'm sorted now,

I've just ordered a big bulk bag of heavy duty rubber bands that are HP compatible, so hopefully, thats my computer sorted for the next 6 months, and I should be able to sort any outtages within minutes rather than hours, as previously I used to have to use old bits of sock elastic to do temporary repairs.  :|
Compatible with HP? sorry mate I don't believe you, I have 2 laptops and a HP printer, despite setting them both up according to the printer instructions on either wired or wireless they constantly play up. Set it up and it prints, come to use it again in a week or so and I have to go through the whole process again, I don't think anything is compatible with HP, certainly not me, lol

Jeez @phil d are you running windoze,?

I have a wireless HP printer, HP laptop, and dell raid server (all running *nix) , and the lads PC running W10 & Ubuntu, they all connect to the printer without issue, even my cheap Chinese android phone can print direct to the printer.

I can even email my printer from my phone or a remote PC and it will print.

Ah, have you gave your printer a fixed IP,?

Windoze is fine with networked printers. Mine works every time on either PC.

If you lose connection after a couple of weeks it may be the router reclaiming the IP address 'cause it's not in use. You can make it a permanent connection via the router set up, or use the printer DNS name in place of the IP address in the printer config on the PCs.

cheers, Paul

HP consumer level printers are useless. They should be called not printers.

HP consumer level printers are useless. They should be called not printers.
What's actually wrong with them,?

VfM I've yet to find anything better, I've got  a B110a , had it about 5 or 6 years I think, cost something like 30 odd quid, never had a problem with it,

Usually they just play hide and seek and decide to stop working no matter what you do with them. I have also slung a few in the bin as beyond the common problems with the wireless being hit and miss they have had some catastrophic and expensive failures, usually crappy firmware/cheap components. Luck of the draw, anything that is cheap and unreliable will have some success stories, rare for anything to be truly 100% useless so there will be plenty of people out there with working ones.

Ok so since sir deke has plugged the forum back in after vaccing the office has anybody else experienced problems with the forum locking up during loading? Getting messages about unsecure server, then it'll take an age to load a page after maybe the five or sixth attempt??

Deke if you're listening I think you've swapped the plugs around as I'm not on the same electrical phase as you now?

We have had a few outages, temporary glitch with a new upgrade and a php 7.1 and memcache issue, we have reverted back to php 5.6 until we can fix this issue.

Sorry for the problems.

I just hope Deke is not also to blame for digging up the Blue Peter time capsule too early as well?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38838033

Rumors say he was digging a hole to sink an earth rod inspection cover in and it just came out with a shovel full of soil.

Doc H.

I never touched any memcaches  Guv'  ....mines working OK  other than the font colours .  

It was me with the  Blue Peter Capsule ...I was looking for Valerie Singleton's phone number  .

Jeez @phil d are you running windoze,?

I have a wireless HP printer, HP laptop, and dell raid server (all running *nix) , and the lads PC running W10 & Ubuntu, they all connect to the printer without issue, even my cheap Chinese android phone can print direct to the printer.

I can even email my printer from my phone or a remote PC and it will print.

Ah, have you gave your printer a fixed IP,?
Yes unfortunately I am running windoze, and it's driving me mental, I spend more time arguing with it than doing work, for instance. I have certain things that I know will only run with certain programmes, I go to run one and it says "there are other programmes you can use to run this, would you like to?". no actually I'd like you to just do what I'm telling you, at which point it decides to do exactly what it wants to do anyway! I can't carry on much longer, apparently reprogramming a computer with an axe doesn't work very often.lol