I am confused as to what some people think this means

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought cauliflowers were banned on here. :C

I imagine the terms "indentured apprentice " come from the days of the ancient    "Trade Guilds in the City " hence City & Guilds.    I believe you were "indentured "  to the craftsman , for so many years , you couldn't leave & take his secrets with you & I think you had to work for him afterwards for a certain time .  

To escape I believe you had to buy yourself out somehow .

The City Guilds , I think, used to tie up all the work within their trade & keep out interlopers . Similar to to Trade Unions. 

Apprentices with JIB member contractors ,  were registered with the JIB and eventually graded  .

Still see a similar thing in the city in the Jewellery Quarter where business is carried out in the pub between gem cutters , chain makers , polishers, setters  etc .

Last edited by a moderator:
Five years as an indentured apprentice. First year 100% collage (75% mechanical) then the usual day release.

Two weeks out of my time and I was chucked in the deep end on shifts, I started learning very rapidly.

I don’t know about time served, at times it felt like a life sentence.

Last edited by a moderator: