Leaving the industry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithjim0001

Reaction score
Hi All

I have to say that i have decided to leave the industry and am looking to jump on with BT or virgin media to work on telecoms and broadband dont you all agree that the industry is too much these days.

Has anyone had any experience in these fields

Thanks

James

Its still here ! I deleted the other thread.

Anyway I wish you good luck and can fully understand why you would want to get out of the industry, its hard for all at the moment and will get worse before it gets any better.

I know didnt realise till after.

Its not so much the work more on the constant training and need for certificates im fully qualified 236 part 1 and 2 2377 2391 nvq level 3 etc..etc.. but the constant need train is unrealistic I cam across a guy the other day who had spent just over 2 years training but clearly was a book worm as he could read off cable calcs and regs from memory I said good luck mate but you wont need it. He looked at me like i was an amature.

Great

smithjim

boils my blood too buddy,

but I know nothing else,

well, nothing else I could pay the mortgage with anyway.

so Im stuck after 20 odd years,

good luck to you in whatever you pick,

I agree with your sentiments Smithy, this trade has gone down the tubes . We don't have Sparks who can actually go out to site and just get the damn job done anymore , just loads of guys with minds full of regs, and ooooh what does the OSG say , and now I've replaced this batten holder I must test the whole street then dash off home and notify everybody so that a certificate can posted and the Local Building Control can fill in some forms .

Dear God almighty !!! Do me a bloody favour !!! What a bleedin' load of old cobblers some of this carp really is for crying out loud!!!

Smithy I don't blame you in the least , and I wish you all the best in your new field , remember, most ex sparks do well in stuff like Alarms..Data.. telecoms ..

Smithy

i left what is now Virgin Media as it was doing my head in

do this, do that knowing full well it was making the books look good

but thats me,,try and avoid network tech or service tech

Good luck with it mate :)

However, dont expect Virgin Media (cant speak for Bt but I imagine its the same) to be any more organised/clearly structured than what you are already doing :(

I know didnt realise till after.Its not so much the work more on the constant training and need for certificates im fully qualified 236 part 1 and 2 2377 2391 nvq level 3 etc..etc.. but the constant need train is unrealistic I cam across a guy the other day who had spent just over 2 years training but clearly was a book worm as he could read off cable calcs and regs from memory I said good luck mate but you wont need it. He looked at me like i was an amature.

Great
making assumptions is bad, alot of people like to make assumptions about people lately, just because he can read off regs/calcs doesnt mean they are any less capable of doing the job than anyone else.

I jumped last november best thing I'v done for years, good luck with whichever you choose. At least when you clock off you stop.

Hi AllI have to say that i have decided to leave the industry and am looking to jump on with BT or virgin media to work on telecoms and broadband dont you all agree that the industry is too much these days.

Has anyone had any experience in these fields

Thanks

James
Have you actually got anther job yet to go into ?

Need to beware of these cutbacks & everything having effects on these other industries as well?

Are you self employed at the moment?

If going back into the world of employment you may find that targets, pressured work schedules and big-brother tracking your every move arrive & leaving times on jobs.. may not be quite so rosey.?

Either way..

Hope you get sorted what you want.

Good luck..

Guinness

I just think its a shame that experienced electricians can not do the job they trained in because of an open back door route was left open by rushed ill advised politician's.

On reflection it would appear the advise was ill advised, I do not think anyone thought to ask "what if? "

What the indusrtry needs is proper recognition for skills and training - it's what plumbers hace successfully done with gas regs. Only then will we get the money, and perhaps people will stop firking about thinking they know how to do our work. As such constant retraining and upskilling is a good thing, the world doesn't stand still and nor should we.

Which way did you jump, Tooold ?
I went to work for a medium sized company as a service engineer, mostly mechanical with some cnc but leading to more cnc and a lot easier work. Sick pay, holidays, bupa, car, clothes, tools and a lot of independence so I can get 4 long days if I want, yep 3 day weekend! salary late 20's and will be 30 by end of the year I am a different person.