LED recess light bulb change help needed please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumayya

Reaction score
Hi All, I have zero skills in electrical things and am just DIY person. Last year I had new kitchen lights installed - recessed (I think) LED spotlights. Some need bulbs replacing as they've stopped working. I can get the light down out of the ceiling and then there's a blue wire and a brown wire leading to a white plastic looking bit then at the other side of that the brown and blue wires continue to other fittings. It looks like I could separate the wires by pulling them apart at the white bit in the middle - but I've pulled a bit and it's still stuck. I'm not sure if it's supposed to come apart. I switched electric off at the mains so at least I wont electrocute myself, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I have no idea how to separate the light from the wires. Can anyone please advise me.light wires.jpg

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
That white bit needs pushing back into the square hole at the fitting. It provides protection and strain relief.

I suspect that isn't a fitting which you can put a new bulb in, but will have to be replaced.
Is there any make / type number on it ?
Thanks for responding. It says on it LED light 7w (14x0.5w/LED module) AC85-255v 50/60Hz. It also says LED module is not replaceable.

That white bit needs pushing back into the square hole at the fitting. It provides protection and strain relief.
Thanks, I think I will need to get an electrician out as I’ve 6 out of 9 that have stopped working. It looks very messy when I take the light down from the ceiling, there’s quite a few wires and nothing obvious that I should do to detach the light. I will get a different electrician to the one that installed these. Thank you for your advice.

Thanks, I think I will need to get an electrician out as I’ve 6 out of 9 that have stopped working. It looks very messy when I take the light down from the ceiling, there’s quite a few wires and nothing obvious that I should do to detach the light. I will get a different electrician to the one that installed these. Thank you for your advice.
Have they stopped working all at once?

Have they stopped working all at once?
No, not all at once. It’s been over time. I had them put in about a year ago, and then I was quite unwell and in and out of hospital so I was a bit rubbish at maintaining things. I’m all fixed now and I’m just trying to get my house back in order. They did all work and then have stopped one at a time.

Might be worth checking where they came from and asking for replacements or a refund. That number of failures in a year is not reasonable.
Okay, I’ll contact the electrician that I used after the bank holidays. He bought the lights so I have no idea where he got them from, nor of how long they should last. He will remember me as he had to call me an ambulance once- to my embarrassment 😂 Thank you.

If you end up replacing them, get fittings where you can replace the lamp probably with a GU10 lamp. I know they are getting harder to find as all the cheap places like to sell these type with non replacable bulbs.

If it’s less than 1 year since they were fired then, imho, it’s down to the spark who supplied them to get replacements and fit them

If it’s over 1 year, best change them for units with customer changeable gu10 light bulbs

Only issue with gu10 replacement will be hole size. You can get fittings with adapters to fill the gap but they can look a bit like dinner plates on the ceiling.

^^

To an extent. The ones I use need a 73mm hole, the tilt ones an 87mm hole. Useful if you want to tidy up a damaged surround
I use the INTEGRAL LFRD fittings. They are 110mm wide and will,cover /holes up to about 105mm AND they look,good and take standard lamps

No, not all at once. It’s been over time. I had them put in about a year ago, and then I was quite unwell and in and out of hospital so I was a bit rubbish at maintaining things. I’m all fixed now and I’m just trying to get my house back in order. They did all work and then have stopped one at a time.

You do need to check up on your "About a year ago", as I do know that time can sometimes move faster that you think...?? (I've had customers ring up about items they thought I had fitted a couple of years ago.. but when I checked my invoice records it was over 6 years ago!!!)

However.. if they were fitted less than 12 months ago then you have the right to replacement, repair or refund under trading standards & sale of goods & services laws...

Which basically states that, (unless you have bought something knowingly second-hand / shop-soiled / damaged / defective / etc and thus discounted in price..), ALL goods and services must be "Fit for purpose" and of "Merchantable quality"..

Which in realty means that everything has some form of minimum 12 month warranty/guarantee...

But if your lights are actually older than 12months whilst you do still have rights under the Sale Of Goods Act and the Supply Of Goods And Services Act.. it is not quite as straight forward...

Do you have any invoice / receipts etc.. for the original work??

Latest posts