Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have joined because i wanted to read some posts on solar installations. I have had solar pv installed along with batteries. It is all working as it should.
I have no knowledge of electrical installation. And if one can have wiring dyslexia then i am he.
I am generating electricity, and the excess is going to the grid. British gas my current supplier can not supply me with a 2 rate smart meter so i think i am going to wait until my current tariff ends (£75.00 early exit) and then look around. I didnt want a smart meter but can find no one to install the 30 minute export meter.
Ive also been told that i need an isolation switch fitted but only my current supplier can fit it.
2 electricians have been round. One says i need a full rewire. The other says he can fit new consumer unit, and replace all lighting fittings with all plastic, no earth.
Hell only do it if supplier has fitted a bonded earth.
Sorry for the rant about things which i know nothing of. But every body seems to offer different advice, wanting ever increasing sums of money.
Oh the other thing i have been getting conflicting information on is the issue of islanding. But maybe that should have its own thread?

The first of the electricians was going to fit a new consumer unit, but said he needed an isolation switch fitting in order to change the cable tails from meter to unit?
And as it was not a bonded earth he needed that doing as well. He said only supplier could do both jobs.