Nightmare DIY house rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB2004

Reaction score
Hi,

never ceases to amaze me some of the shoddy electrical work some DIYers do..this is what I have come accross in a house.

1 socket in 1 bedroom didnt even work, had cables going into the back of it.. but dead.

found about 6 junction boxes under the landing floor that were completely inaccessible once the floorboards and carpet is down.

owner said, they couldnt even use an electric chip fryer in their kitchen because it tripped everything out.

9.5Kw shower wired in with 6mm cable, with no isolator, and... best bit was not even on its own circuit.. it was wired into the 32Amp socket ring main MCB inside the consumer unit, and some of the cable in the bathroom end comes out the wall with no kind of mechanical protection before going into the shower... seriously.. would it hurt them to of buried it in the wall so it entered the shower inside the unit? or at least used some trunking to protect it from damage.

4mm main earth from the CU to the Cutout

4mm earth to the gas pipe.. and the clamp was not even tight it was moving all over the place... from there the earth wire went back off somewhere else.. presumebly supposed to of gone to the cold water services where it come into the house... except no earth visible anywhere near where the cold water come in.

GET branded Consumer unit used.. without any kind of isolator.. the RCD was the isolator.

none of the neutral and earth wires in the correct places inside the consumer unit.. was a case of just shove em anywhere despite the numbering.

even the earth terminals labelled B for equipotential bonding...they had stuck the shower cable earth into it.

earth wires sharing sleeving, and all in the old green only colour.

flex cable out back garden powering outdoor light hanging down the wall.. wasnt even free to move where it passed through the wall, had been cemented into the wall... let alone outdoor UV rated.. could see the cable was deteriated just by looking at it.

No supplemental bonding in the kitchen or bathroom.

Sockets trip RCD and all lighting goes out throughout the whole house where everything is RCD protected on the 1 RCD.. but not split.

just a complete mess... people like this.. how can they seriously think they are competant?.. surely the loose earth clamp on the gas pipe would of been an obvious thing to tighten up.. not just leave like it.. even if they didnt know anything else...but its just plain dangerous and an accident / fire waiting to happen.

You aint seen much yet then! To be honest some of the things you mention are just poor workmanship nothing jumps out as being dangerous.

You aint seen much yet then! To be honest some of the things you mention are just poor workmanship nothing jumps out as being dangerous.
lol, another bad thing ive seen is inside an outdoor light where somebody sleeved all the wires with earth sleeving, and shoved 2 live feeds.. wasnt a ring, they just used 3 core cable.. and terminated the yellow and red wires into the live inside the light.. then did the same thing the other end in the ceiling rose indoors where they took their spur from

not too dangerous no.. except maybe the 6mm cable on the 9.5kw shower possibly.

but, still, if somebody namely a DIYer is going to do a job like that.. they should at least try and do it properly... if they dont know enough about it.. shouldnt attempt it in the first place. the 6 junction boxes under the floor on the landing isnt that good practice eigther.. only takes 1 terminal to become loose and overheat, then you have a fire... and with it completely inaccessible who is to know about it? seemed to me, they originally had a ring there.. tried to split the upstairs and downstairs sockets, then ended up with a load of spurs from 1 junction box and no ring.

things like that loose earth clamp.. i mean imediately that jumps out at you as being something not right.

Hi,never ceases to amaze me some of the shoddy electrical work some DIYers do..this is what I have come accross in a house.

1 socket in 1 bedroom didnt even work, had cables going into the back of it.. but dead.

found about 6 junction boxes under the landing floor that were completely inaccessible once the floorboards and carpet is down.

owner said, they couldnt even use an electric chip fryer in their kitchen because it tripped everything out.

9.5Kw shower wired in with 6mm cable, with no isolator, and... best bit was not even on its own circuit.. it was wired into the 32Amp socket ring main MCB inside the consumer unit, and some of the cable in the bathroom end comes out the wall with no kind of mechanical protection before going into the shower... seriously.. would it hurt them to of buried it in the wall so it entered the shower inside the unit? or at least used some trunking to protect it from damage.

4mm main earth from the CU to the Cutout

4mm earth to the gas pipe.. and the clamp was not even tight it was moving all over the place... from there the earth wire went back off somewhere else.. presumebly supposed to of gone to the cold water services where it come into the house... except no earth visible anywhere near where the cold water come in.

GET branded Consumer unit used.. without any kind of isolator.. the RCD was the isolator.

none of the neutral and earth wires in the correct places inside the consumer unit.. was a case of just shove em anywhere despite the numbering.

even the earth terminals labelled B for equipotential bonding...they had stuck the shower cable earth into it.

earth wires sharing sleeving, and all in the old green only colour.

flex cable out back garden powering outdoor light hanging down the wall.. wasnt even free to move where it passed through the wall, had been cemented into the wall... let alone outdoor UV rated.. could see the cable was deteriated just by looking at it.

No supplemental bonding in the kitchen or bathroom.

Sockets trip RCD and all lighting goes out throughout the whole house where everything is RCD protected on the 1 RCD.. but not split.

just a complete mess... people like this.. how can they seriously think they are competant?.. surely the loose earth clamp on the gas pipe would of been an obvious thing to tighten up.. not just leave like it.. even if they didnt know anything else...but its just plain dangerous and an accident / fire waiting to happen.
Dont mean to be picky here but all the stuff highlighted red is quite standard across the uk. Single RCD fuseboards are common place, most work well for years with no issues. Dont know about others but I consider under floorbards to be ok for JBs, not laminate mind. As for sleeving/wrong positions in fuseboard its just an amateur at work. Dont see anything that could cause a fire risk and the fact the rcd works makes it a lot safer than 75% of uk houses.

Dont mean to be picky here but all the stuff highlighted red is quite standard across the uk. Single RCD fuseboards are common place, most work well for years with no issues. Dont know about others but I consider under floorbards to be ok for JBs, not laminate mind. As for sleeving/wrong positions in fuseboard its just an amateur at work. Dont see anything that could cause a fire risk and the fact the rcd works makes it a lot safer than 75% of uk houses.
Hi, its fine lol..by all means share your oppinion. :D .. everyone has different ways of working and oppinions on how things should be done.

I know alot of it is standard, seen the 4mm earth wires and no bonding etc in other houses.. but generally when you shove in an RCD with MCB CU you make some attempt to add in that bonding and upgrade.. not leave as it is.

and wasnt so much the single RCD, it was that the RCD was being used as the isolator... not often you see a modern consumer unit without an isolator... and on alot of single RCD setups usually the lighting is kept outside of the RCD.. until 17th edition came in and all cables buried less than 50mm without mechanical protection had to be RCD protected.

certainly wouldnt leave the gas and water unbonded on a 17th edition board if it was done professionally, as the equipotential bonding is part of the installation.

or maybe its just me lol, personally im very consciencous of doing things properly and right... because as far as im concerned its not worth doing if your not going to do it properly.

6mm for the shower is fine. Had one 10.5kw wired in 2.5 mm recently, not even one continuous piece, had three joins with connector blocks along its 20m ish length. Thing had worked for a few years until the connector blocks melted together and tripped the rcd, luckily the whole place was rcd protected. Where the cable had run through the loft with bin bags full of clothes it had melted the bags and clothes inside.

Not having a go at you as you obviously want to do a good job and thats spot on. But overstating dangers can get into rogue traders territory and no one wants that.

flex cable out back garden powering outdoor light hanging down the wall.. wasnt even free to move where it passed through the wall, had been cemented into the wall...
Hi Mate,

What do you mean by "not free to move". I always seal where cable passes througth an outside wall.

Hi Mate,What do you mean by "not free to move". I always seal where cable passes througth an outside wall.
hi, I do the same, so water doesnt get in.

but in this case.. they have put the flex cable in, then bricked and cemented around it.. so there is no hole as such for the cable.. its more encased in the wall... so only way to remove that cable would be to pull the bricks and cement out.

The words "RCD frontend" come to mind......

I had one in my house for years..... They were really popular under 16th in TT properties.

I`d agree with pretty much everything Graham said; except the JBs. They were put under the floor for yonks (where else were you going to put em?), but you can`t do it now, unless they`re "maintenance free". You can`t specify to a customer what floor covering they put in a specific spot; and, even under carpet, a JB is "inaccessible" IMO.

O/S light - the cable SHOULDN`T move - if they`ve bricked around it; so what? they have to have made space for it, so I don`t see the issue.

KME

The words "RCD frontend" come to mind......I had one in my house for years..... They were really popular under 16th in TT properties.

I`d agree with pretty much everything Graham said; except the JBs. They were put under the floor for yonks (where else were you going to put em?), but you can`t do it now, unless they`re "maintenance free". You can`t specify to a customer what floor covering they put in a specific spot; and, even under carpet, a JB is "inaccessible" IMO.

O/S light - the cable SHOULDN`T move - if they`ve bricked around it; so what? they have to have made space for it, so I don`t see the issue.

KME
no it shouldnt move, because if it moves, abrasion could damage the cable.

but.. its not like a hole has been drilled, cable put through the hole.. then sealed in place with silicone or something.

its been cemented in the wall.. cable put in first, then cavity brick wall built around it.

so what happens if the cable gets damaged/deteriated by UV or weathering.

you cant remove the cable, so then all you can do is cut off both ends, leave it in the wall, drill a new hole then put a cable next to it...but there wont be able way to remove the old 1 short of destroying the brickwork.

might not be anything wrong with it per-se.. but its not a good thing to do eigther.

you dont cement cable in walls, sleeve the cable and cement the sleeeve in place then silicon seal round the cable both sides . :)

i do actually agree with the op this is just what he can see !!!!

although not bare cables every were it is a usuall diy night mare.

i personally would of told the customer of my concerns and charged for a pir of the install before quoting for the follow up work.

i went to a similar one last week were the customer said the electrician had walked off the job so could i finish it ... i had a quick walk round and saw that everything had been first fixed and just needed terminating, not one back box was in place and just the cables were pulled in and labelled.

2.5 for lighting, 16th board, no earths, etc etc .. on quizzing him further he admitted to doing it himself and he just wanted a cert for the work.

he still wants it finishing . :)

you dont cement cable in walls, sleeve the cable and cement the sleeeve in place then silicon seal round the cable both sides . :) i do actually agree with the op this is just what he can see !!!!

although not bare cables every were it is a usuall diy night mare.

i personally would of told the customer of my concerns and charged for a pir of the install before quoting for the follow up work.

i went to a similar one last week were the customer said the electrician had walked off the job so could i finish it ... i had a quick walk round and saw that everything had been first fixed and just needed terminating, not one back box was in place and just the cables were pulled in and labelled.

2.5 for lighting, 16th board, no earths, etc etc .. on quizzing him further he admitted to doing it himself and he just wanted a cert for the work.

he still wants it finishing . :)
precisely lol, I dont know what other electricians do, but I dont agree with cementing cables inside walls.

as far as im concerned.. always drill a hole first, push cable through hole then seal with silicone.. where permitting I go further even and sleave the hole first.. not supposed to put a copper pipe through a wall without a liner.

I know you plaster cables in walls.. but least the plaster is removable to change the cables.. but inside a cavity wall, you would have to destroy part of the wall on both sides... also and dont criticise if im wrong.. merely speculating, but Cement is acidic? so what would the acid in the cement do to the cables insulation over time? when in direct contact.

just found something else the other day, the cooker is also wired into the 32amp ring, along with the shower... except theres no cable in the consumer unit for it.. so looks like they spurred the cooker off the 32amp ring. I know alot of ovens are 13 amp anyway, but this is a double oven... least that explains how a fat fryer was tripping the MCB... oven is probably taking the circuit to its near limit.. especially if the shower is on, then the fat fryer just pushes it over the edge into tripping.

no earths? or back boxes? lol.. what did he expect to screw the accessories to.

RB,

Just for info cement is very alkali, this can also attack pvc, this is one of the reasons for capping rather than direct burying, was even worse IIRC with lime mortar, one of the more mature members :innocent may remember new builds wth lime mortar. ; \

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
RB,Just for info cement is very alkali, this can also attack pvc, this is one of the reasons for capping rather than direct burying, was even worse IIRC with lime mortar, one of the more mature members :innocent may remember new builds wth lime mortar. ; \

Paul
admin can certainly confirm that new build where done by lime mortar :^O

RB,Just for info cement is very alkali, this can also attack pvc, this is one of the reasons for capping rather than direct burying, was even worse IIRC with lime mortar, one of the more mature members :innocent may remember new builds wth lime mortar. ; \

Paul
What are you trying to say?

I am only as old as I feel:p

doesnt silicon attack PVC cables too then?isnt that why we use compound?

probably wrong again, I seem to be of late.
i remeber reading i thread about that not long back. whats the propper stuff called

havent heard of that before.. but if it does will switch to something else.

cant be as bad as cement though.

Latest posts