Odd Jobbing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebow72

Reaction score
I am just after a bit of clarification really, if possible please.

I have just finished my Level 2 C&G 2330, with 1 term left to do plus all the exams (2391, AM2 and Part P) and whatever else will help.

Anyway, I have been doing some electrical work here and there for friends, family and word of mouth. It's been mainly replacing switches, sockets, moving light pendants, replacing breakers. Work I am confident doing. But what is the cut off point? As regards Part P? I know that new installs, rewires and adding a new circuit are a no no, but most other jobs are non notifiable then? If a rewire was done, would I need a qualified spark to complete testing and sign it off? I have been offered jobs like that, but have had to say no, just as I don't want to enter into something I am not legally allowed to do..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

I would just like to add to this, correct me if I am wrong..

Part P scheme is another way of proving you are a competent person, there seems to be a few out there Napit is another one

I have inquired through ELECSA which is part of the ECA.

I managed to speak to one of the guys there and this is what he told me..as it applies to my circumstances..he didn't mention 'Non Notifiable' work, but I think it's something I am going to have to look at in the future..but looks like to me another money making exercise here

If you want to do work in domestic properties whilst you are not a member of a Part P competent person provider scheme that would fall under notifiable work, what you should be doing is informing the local building control of the work you are wanting to do, before you start it. They then will arrange to come out at the end of the 1st fix and inspect it. They will then come out at the end of the 2nd fix and inspect it. They will then test the installation. This is all at a cost. They will then further charge for that job to be then notified. This can work out to be expensive, so if you see yourself working in domestic properties, you need to decide whether or not to get yourself registered under a Part P provider scheme. Only you can answer that.

If you want to do work in domestic properties whilst you are not a member of a Part P competent person provider scheme that would fall under notifiable work, what you should be doing is informing the local building control of the work you are wanting to do, before you start it. They then will arrange to come out at the end of the 1st fix and inspect it. They will then come out at the end of the 2nd fix and inspect it. They will then test the installation. This is all at a cost. They will then further charge for that job to be then notified. This can work out to be expensive, so if you see yourself working in domestic properties, you need to decide whether or not to get yourself registered under a Part P provider scheme. Only you can answer that.
thats pretty much it

Yeah I know there is no such course as Part P, if I have said that it was in error. There are those companies like Trade Skills and the like who offer it as a course. But I know it's a onsite assessment. thanks though.

there is actually an exam for building regulations in general but it doesn't just apply to Part P, it applies to ALL of them......I know because i've done it!

Its the EAL "Applicable Building Regulations for Domestic Electrical Installation" Certificate.