Part P Testing and Informing Local Authority

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnicholson

Reaction score
Appreciate knowing if anyone includes a separate price for Part P testing / completion of Installation Certificate, informing the Local Authority and also recovering the costs of being a member of the Part P scheme?

If anyone does, is there any ball park price guideline?

Thanks

Bob

Appreciate knowing if anyone includes a separate price for Part P testing / completion of Installation Certificate, informing the Local Authority and also recovering the costs of being a member of the Part P scheme?If anyone does, is there any ball park price guideline?

Thanks

Bob
All depends on job. I did a little job a while back kitchen refurb. Quoted price but ended up doing a lot more work. Bloke paid for extra work but refused to pay for certs. I normally charge

Batty how can you charge for a cert when you have always been obliged to give one as part of any work done well before Part P was even a gleam in the taxmans eye

i've always given certs regardless of the work unless it was one of those on your way home jobs and even then i offer, its always the customers choice at the end of the day

Batty how can you charge for a cert when you have always been obliged to give one as part of any work done well before Part P was even a gleam in the taxmans eyei've always given certs regardless of the work unless it was one of those on your way home jobs and even then i offer, its always the customers choice at the end of the day
Quite agree. You dont charge extra to fit a socket outlet onto the end of the new cable you have installed do you ? Testing is part of any job.

I calculate all my jobs with three figures..

1) Materials

2) Labour

3) Admin...

1) & 2) quite obvious..

3) Has to go toward covering all the other bits associated with the job...

that aren't a direct material or labour charge...

such as:-

Paperwork including Ink Cartridges!!

Fuel

Insurance

Certification / Notification

Hire of any special tools if applicable

Wear & tear & tool replacement.

Meter calibration charges

etc..

typically this cost is between

Just to add...

Some people do an hourly rate with a higher charge or the first hour..

(which I assume is to cover these bits?)

I just have fixed Hourly / Day / or Week rates..

e.g. "X" hours is "X"@hourly rate + the admin charge!!

OK, of course testing is charged for, but it should be included within the price, not listed separately.
If you are doing job on day work how do you put that in price. If you spend 1.5 hrs in the evening doing electrical/building reg and insurance certificate do you not charge that out or put your hourly rate up to cover this.

Batty

OK, of course testing is charged for, but it should be included within the price, not listed separately.
As you say slip....In reality its is just part of the labour which IS an essential part of the job! (not optional extra!)....

and the actual certificate & notification (assuming you are part P & can self cert) aren't a major amount? :) ;)

But its the enrolment & annual assessment costs etc.. that sting! :eek:

I put seperate figures for labour & certification. Yes, they`ve got to have them, but you`ve already specified that you`re going to provide. Some people may put theirs in with the labour, but I don`t.

Case in point:

Recently did remedial work for a PIR on a large ish hotel. Certs were 4 EIC, and 29 MWC. No BRCS, as not domestic.

My certification cost is made up of the paper, ink, BRCS costs, NICEIC costs & time. I prefer to keep my costings seperated out as far as practicable.

Down to personal choice, afaiac:)

I put seperate figures for labour & certification. Yes, they`ve got to have them, but you`ve already specified that you`re going to provide. Some people may put theirs in with the labour, but I don`t.Case in point:

Recently did remedial work for a PIR on a large ish hotel. Certs were 4 EIC, and 29 MWC. No BRCS, as not domestic.

My certification cost is made up of the paper, ink, BRCS costs, NICEIC costs & time. I prefer to keep my costings seperated out as far as practicable. Down to personal choice, afaiac:)
:)

I think that is better for both you and the customer...

easier to see what the structure of the total bill is..

and thus easier to understand without going.. "ohh thats a bit expensive!:O"

i just give them a quote for the work done,whether in a scheme or not you have to test your work or should do.

even little jobs like connecting to an existing spur, ie: boiler install i still do the usual checks and add the results to my invoice.

i find the easy cert software although expensive helps speed things up and makes a more professional job.

i like the email option :)

i then add the email to my address book and then have a date and customer details for future reference, same with the gas i then send out yearly reminders for work that may need checking, works great with lazy landlords who cant be ****d to do it them selves.