Practice what we preach!!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbicket

Reaction score
Calling all you sparks , Do we practice what we preach in our own homes? :| . Are all our consumer units up to date? :| . Any sockets broke,hanging off the wall with one screw. Or does it feel to much like bus mans holiday when we get home and put our feet up. Come on be honest now:innocent.

I will start of with 16th edition consumer unit:run. Floodlight on side of house not worked in over a year(might just be bulb). Purchased nice new shinny flat plate sockets switches etc 9 months ago for living room and has sat in box in attic:Blushing..

Who is worse come on!!!

16th compliant cu for TT system / one double socket cracked by nipper on Friday / one security light blown lamp

The home is fine as I've not touched it yet!

At work we have a board not marked & 2.5 radial circuit for sockets on a 32amp MCB,

17th CU, chrome everything else thats the wife's fault i just do the grunt work !! I do need to change a few pendants though ooops i changed my security light in the garden to, i noticed a cheap light in CEF for

I am still on a 3036 board

RCD Board in garage

Presently doing major work on kitchen, so we have 6 broken double sockets on the floor. They were on the wall but the wall came down and so did the sockets still fastened to the brick.

PIR outside light needs replacing

1 lamp in lounge and 1 in bathroom been blown for about 12 months

...quite sad really! one day..... :coat

16th Edition C/U

socket face off the wall in the bedroom,

1.5mm Artic Flex over patio temporarily feeding shed.

cutout near enough falling off the wall

1 half of double socket not working in kitchen

Got 2 * 4 spotlight bar fittings in the kitchen, nasty immitation gold ones. Been meaning to replace them for the last year. They have got a mixture of lamps in them, however all but one of the lamps in both fittings have broken.

The mrs threatened last week to call an electrician if I dont change them before christmas!

Apart from that, got a nice shiny 19 way hi-integrity CU, however above it are still some old cables oozing that horrid green goo which I need to get rid of!

I blame Admin, as i spend far too much of my spare time on the forum :)

PVC singles but no earth to lighting circuits ( Can't be bothered to rip up own floorboards)

10mm G/Y from water coiled up hanging at side of house ,waiting to clipped along and drilled through to 16th ed C/U. ( Been there 2 years now)

I blame Admin too!!!! :C

Right where do I start: :p

2 halves of 2 rings first/second fixed, the second fixed one needs hooking up and socket screws screwed back.

I have run a 3 core 4mm to My shed - 6 years ago, still not terminated at either end.

Got a mix of Hager, MK and Marbo accessories installed everywhere.

Need to re run a 10mm 6491X for the main bond to My water stock cock.

Me mam wants the house rewired - the thing is, is that the place has already been decorated.

AndyGuinness

Mines not too bad. 16th cu, bondings 10mm but gas strap has been loose for a year or 2. Battern lamp holder in kitchen hanging were we had a leak on flat roof errrrm 18 months ago. Room stat hanging were I am painting in hall. Kitchen doesn't work (blows 3a fuse when you turn it on). Trivial stuff really, the important stuff is fine.

I heard an old old saying once, "... the cobblers wife's shoes are always the poorest shod". I've lived in 11 houses since I got married and none of them have ever fully complied with the latest IEE regs !.

House is not to bad as I have just finished extension and renovation.

BUT

WAIT FOR IT

I exported an earth to my shed on a TNCS arrangement. ;)

Just remembered...many years ago we decorated the lounge. I took down the old light fitting. In its place I put a lampholder [which I had kicking around the gargage]. This lampholder had a piece of flex already attached. I connected the flex to the twin, twisted wires together and just left it. YEARS later I put a red rawlplug [had one in my pocket] onto the live side as an insulator! Remained like this for about 7 years. Only got replaced when I took a light fitting out of a job and thought it too good to bin! ...................wait for it.......................it is Gold Plated FFS!....Living the dream! This is also the fitting that has a duff lamp in it.

Mind you, my new kitchen is looking good. Pictures will follow, eventually.................... :coat

My business partner rewired his house 10 years ago and the 10mm earth cable is still hanging unconnected next to the gas meter. About 4 years ago i gift wrapped and boxed an earth clamp which i gave him for Christmas. He told me he used it on a job and his own is still not done !!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:03 ----------

Only got replaced when I took a light fitting out of a job and thought it too good to bin! ...................wait for it.......................it is Gold Plated FFS!....Living the dream! This is also the fitting that has a duff lamp in it.
In my old house i fitted some gold plated taps ( removed from a job) in my bathroom. Looking at pics now i realise how horrible they were.

16th Ed db

At least 5 blown gu10 lamps ( my excuse is im in the process of changing them to leds but waiting for the prices to drop a bit more)

16th Ed dbAt least 5 blown gu10 lamps ( my excuse is im in the process of changing them to leds but waiting for the prices to drop a bit more)
now that you mention it, there are 2 GU10's out in the kitchen. but its still bright enough without them, so not going to get fixed until another one goes at least