Tt System, Earthing, Pme Terminal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdelec

Reaction score
TT system, RCD 100mA.  I contacted electricity supply company to check earthing, and an engineer came to house, and fitted PME Earth terminal near to consumer unit.  He connected the PME to fuse, but NOT connected to consumer unit.  He advised me to first make sure that everything is cross-bonded, and only then connect PME to Consumer unit.

Can someone tell me what is meant by cross-bonded?  And how do I ensure that everything is cross bonded?

After PME is connected to Consumer Unit, will RCD still trip at 100mA OR will it start tripping at 30mA?

Please bear with my naïve questions, I am first time buyer.

you will need to ensure all earthing & bonding to gas / water etc is adequate. TNCS typically requires a larger size than TT (however many installations are done in a larger size that would be compliant for TNCS even if it is currently TT or TNS). since you seem to have old-ish wiring by previous posts, then what you have now may not comply

your RCD will always trip at its rated current. it will only start tripping at 30mA if you install a 30mA RCD

as i said in a previous thread, your best option is to get someone in to check all the electrics. just because you have an RCD etc etc does not mean that the wiring is safe

Last edited by a moderator:
you will need to ensure all earthing & bonding to gas / water etc is adequate. TNCS typically requires a larger size than TT (however many installations are done in a larger size that would be compliant for TNCS even if it is currently TT or TNS). since you seem to have old-ish wiring by previous posts, then what you have now may not comply

your RCD will always trip at its rated current. it will only start tripping at 30mA if you install a 30mA RCD

as i said in a previous thread, your best option is to get someone in to check all the electrics. just because you have an RCD etc etc does not mean that the wiring is safe
Thanks.  Electrician will come on Tuesday as he is very busy.

No harm in asking questions - no-one should be bothered by that if they know what they are doing, and it offers a chance to show customer you know what you are talking about

The questions aren't the problem, it's the customers thinking they know better that is the problem!

so when you answer their questions you can prove them wrong - anyone arrogant enough to argue more than that would probably have been ditched prior to starting job when they tried to tell me how to do it in the first place! :slap