Wireless smoke detectors, any good?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked to price to fit some interlinked smoke detectors in a house that has 6 bedsits, so I need to fit 8 smokes and 1 heat detector, the owner doesn't want to have floorboards up if it can be helped, and isn't keen on trunking everywhere. Are 'EI' wireless detectors any good? and do I need any special qualifications to fit fire detection?

Any advice or suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks.

I have been reading KMEs and other's posts on these.

I do believe that you have to follow BS5839.

Also, I do believe you have to issue a 5839-6 certificate (cert).

Thanks for the replies, local council have suggested wireless linked detectors, and yes they would like it done to BS5839.

Can anybody fill out the certs?

Hi

I have just completed a Wireless Aico installation and it met the requirements of BS 5839 Part 6, Grade D LD3.

I fitted Radio linked Call points, central control switch (Does remote Test, Hush and Locate) and only had to wire a supply to each Radio link Base for the Smoke Alarms from the nearest lighting circuit permanent supply.

Yes any competent person can sign the Certificate but a knowledge of the standard is required (BS 5839 PART 6), having a copy of it helps.

;)

As Init referred to, if its HMO, you`ll probably have to fit a grade C or B system; which must comply to 5839-1, not -6 (-6 is domestic premises only; house converted to bedsits won`t be classed as such.)

Even if you CAN fit wireless linked, you still have to provide power to each fitting; from memory they should all be from the same source. Likelihood is that the bedsits are individually metered for light & power, making that a non-starter anyway........

I`d expect a panel system, addressable, to 5839-1, MICC or FP200 cabling - same rules apply. You must be competent to sign the certs (all of `em!)

HTH

KME

Thanks KME, the local council have said they would accept radio linking, powered from a light in each room, but this contradicts the 'common power source' ruling, the bedsits are metered, but there are two lighting circuits. I think I'll have another chat with the council man. It might be better to go the whole hog with a panel and FP.

For Grade D system that Your council seems to be accepting their is NO NEED for single power source

BS 5839-6 Pg 45 Par 2 states " Some of the recommendations of this standard, applicable to wired systems, are un-suitable for, or cannot be applied to. radio-linked systems. These include, in particular, those relating to POWER supplies and fault monitoring."

Suggest you speak to Aico tech guys, found them very helpfull on what can be done.

With respect, there seems to be somewhat of a confusion going on here.

(1) The grade of the installation is not the same as the category.

(2) Grade C systems do NOT need to comply with Bs5839-1, rather a Grade C needn't comply with any particular requirement beyond the requirements of BS5839-6 - all it asks for is "smoke detectors and alarms, which may be smoke alarms, connected to a common powers supply, comprising normal mains and standby supply, with central control equipment".

The Aico Radiolink stuff complies fully here, because Clause 15.5 paragraph b says:

The Ei Aico range has a good reputation, and is specified nowadays by many councils.