Talk Electrician Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy, Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum, the UK's Friendliest Electrical forum on the internet, whilst you can view all our posts and topics like most online communities you must register to post (reply, or ask a question) in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. We do have different membership levels (called silver and gold) as a subscription service, BUT, this is an extra, and not needed, So please feel free to join for FREE, and then decide if you like our community, and would perhaps like to subscribe to any of our our extra services. Our members offer the best advice in the electrical industry including DIY,Domestic,Commercial,Industrial,Renewables,Health and Safety issues and Control and Automation.

Be a part of Talk Electrician Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shower pump problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Couleddie

Couleddie

• Bronze Member
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

One of my neighbours asked me to look at their shower (I think they assume because it's got a pump that it's an electrical job but I didn't mind taking a look). The shower is fed from a cylinder via a pump. The pump activates fine when the shower is turned on but after about a minute the pump cuts off. If the shower head is dropped to a low level (say into the bath) the pump activates again. The pump itself does not sound right. There is a noticeable vibration and it just sounds unwell.
The pump make is Salamander. It's possibly one of the worst pieces of plumbing installation i've ever seen. The pump isn't even secured to the floor and moves freely. Only been in about 2 years.

I said i'd check out and see if I can find out whether it's a repair or replacement but it's not really my area.

#2 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 9,238 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales Riviera
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Agricultural
  • Training:Time Served, Apprenticeship, Other
  • Employment:Self Employed

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

Nearly all shower pumps do not fx to anything,, they just rest on their rubber feet on the floor... it's to reduce the reverberated noise;)

as for the switching off mid shower,,,,, if you had trouble turning it on then I'd suggest that it required a negative head shower (or kit if one's available) but in this case I don't really know,,,, it does certainly sound like a negative head problem, but that usually just affects starting up..

#3 SPECIAL LOCATION

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.

• Gold Member
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Is the piping from the tank allowing air pockets into the water once flow starts?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:49 ----------

Are the water tanks old open ones?

or modern ones with fixed lids?

Could some debris have got into the water pipe...?

Starts up then obstacle in pipework moves around with flow?

Had a problem years ago where a small bit of polystyrene got into the hot water pipes until it finally stopped behind the hot water tap!!

:C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users