Hair Clippers Into A Bathroom Plug?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Tried searching but haven't found a clear answer so was wondering if someone could advise please?

I have a set of hair clippers from Australia that have a two prong plug mains plug. Can I change this plug for a UK style 2 pin bathroom plug and plug it into the 230v socket in my bathroom?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The design of the Australian plug will fit into a UK 2 pin bathroom plug but the bathroom plug is designed for shavers only and will not work the clippers

Septiclecky, I don't think the plug will fit as the pins are flat and angled so would replace the plug with a UK bathroom plug with their rounded pins. 

NozSpark, I am assuming that the socket complies with regulations. It was fitted about 4 years ago. It has a silver faceplate with 'shavers only' white lettering and two sockets one of which says 230v and the other 115v. I assume that the clippers would work in the 230v socket?

Thanks for your help so far. 

Septiclecky, I don't think the plug will fit as the pins are flat and angled so would replace the plug with a UK bathroom plug with their rounded pins. 

NozSpark, I am assuming that the socket complies with regulations. It was fitted about 4 years ago. It has a silver faceplate with 'shavers only' white lettering and two sockets one of which says 230v and the other 115v. I assume that the clippers would work in the 230v socket?

you cannot have a 13a socket within 3mtr of shower / bath as Noz says. you can have a shaver point, however these do not have a 13a socket on them

you may be able to fit a  plug which would fit the shaver socket, but check the requirements of the clippers to make sure they wont overload the socket

Last edited by a moderator:

It is not to do with the voltage, it is the amount of current the appliance will draw. There was a recent thread on the forum where someone had melted a shaver socket by plugging an incorrect item into it. Check the wattage, power used by your clippers, compare with the wattage of the average electric shaver or toothbrush. Shaver sockets are not directly connected to the mains supply, they have a thing called an isolating transformer to prevent electric shock when using appliances in a bathroom. The internal component's can be overloaded and melt if you plug a higher wattage appliance in. This is why the sockets say "Shavers Only". 

Doc H.

Ok thanks.

The clippers say 12w on them. An electric toothbrush charger seems to be around 2w and form my research electric shavers vary from 12-20w.

So it appears they will work.

It will as when I sailed out of Sydney, NSW years ago, I bought a rechargable torch from a shop in George Street which had the straight angled pins your talking about and it plugged straight into the UK shaver socket in my cabin they are designed for different shaver plugs from around the world.

Shaved_Cat.jpg

I never expected to be reading a thread about shaving a pussy on here (I'm talking about a cat)

By the way, I've just looked at all our shaver sockets and they have slots for the angled flat 2 pin Australian style plugs to fit into.

What won't fit are the flat American style plugs where the flat pins are parallel to each other. they will only fit in the 110V sockets fitted to some shaver sockets.