Do Shops Actually Sell Stuff

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
recent subject,

needed a new washing machine, [see other thread]

researched a fair bit and saw a good deal in John Lewis,

went to buy it, 1 week delivery, WTF?! its a shop, not online, cant I have this one?

apparently not, is it any wonder the country is in a mess when none of these shops actually want to sell you anything......

maybe Im old fashioned,

but,

I want to go into a shop and walk out with what Ive just bought.

better than buying a sofa then - 6 weeks for it to turn up from China/ some other 3rd world country!

It's the internet Steps, no-one can afford to keep stock except at a central warehouse ready for delivery.

The wife will be at pontins in a couple of weeks :)

Went to buy a washing machine

Priced at £x

Ok i will have that one now

Sorry, not possible, next day delivery to your house is £20

Ok,then...it is not £x. It is. £x + 20

No sir it is £x

Well,i will pick it up from here tomorrow

No sir, not possible , has to be delivered

At £20?????????

Yes sir

Frick off
We had that a couple of years back with a sofa,

I just told them to keep it and walked off,

Went to place next door and told them I wouldn't be paying for delivery, explained the situation and they sold me one and Free delivery

that's the biggest issue with large companies - their staff aren't allowed to think for themselves and have to tow the company line! They must get fed up with it...

Had a customer who made sofas for a couple of the big chains.

He would design a new suite, make it and put it in the store, usually before a weekend. If it sold over the weekend then they would keep it on display for a while. If not, then they would have to go and pick it back up.

No money for doing this...only paid for orders.

So the reason for no stock is they haven't been made. They said never buy a sofa just before Christmas because they had so many orders they would really be thrown together.

I had a similar experience but paid shocking £30.00! I may live in the middle of no where but still!

Oh 2 weeks for the washing machine!

That said she is working very well!