First Day Back...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been off work for couple of weeks with a bad back! I'm only 33 but have learned valuable lessons in looking after myself.

Anyhow first job today "RCD tripping randomly"

This is the cooker outlet...

That was one of the the better sockets:(

Also found high zs on most of the kitchen sockets and two metal faceplates with no earth at all!

Sigh...kitchen fitters...

Here we go again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ducky , the powers that be deemed that kitchen fitters needn't get a sparks in .....just do a short course, Limited Scope jobby and become a Plastic Electrician.

It was one of the things that prompted me to join a scam provider TBH,   I was steadily losing all my industrial / commercial  customers and doing more domestic extensions etc  ...when a kitchen / bathroom fitter asked if I could give him a few hours of time on electrics  as he had his Competent Persons Assessment coming up with ELECSA .

Although a good fitter / tiler / plumber  , his electrical know how was pi$$ poor TBH  but basically knew how to rewire for downlights etc .

I thought how stupid this was becoming ...where he would be able to sign off domestic work and I would'nt..... so begrudgingly wrote out the cheque and joined the club .

Damned if you do damned if you don't :(

This was one of the worst I have seen in a while & I've got to right a bloody report on it :yawn mixture of brown / red, old GE breakers in a mantel, right f'in mess! fortunately an upfront 30ma rcd probably stopped the place burning down ;

Report it.

Great - I think we`ve all been to, and seen the jobs that make you think "this pratt needs to be stopped before he kills someone".

Problem being - no-one, and I mean no-one is going to care.

Not the council - NOT the scam provider. Not the HSE, or trading standards, or the local paper.

The only ones who "sort of" listened, were the select committee - and we know what was done with THEIR recommendations, don`t we :slap

headbang   :shakehead  - Doesn`t seem to be any way to get this sort of shit dealt with, and the muppet sparkies will continue until they kill themselves

Swear filter?

Ah - yes.

Oops, sorry - although I`m exempt, I DO try to keep it under control - but sometimes, especially after some liquid painkiller, courtesy of Mr. Bell (Sco) ; it creeps in.

Say it as it is? I do try my best, mate ;)

:slap ROFL Kme,

Yes the electric police are non existent NIC don't care there is no one out there who gives a **** about these things. but with a report that will support a grant application to have the wiring redone and maybe a new dB and some bonding thrown in for good measure.

Which in the area concerned will actually be properly specced with decent materials and thankfully not always the cheapest tender.

:)

People do care just not the right ones.

As for this select committee I wonder how many of them attended the electrical safety first dinner ???

Last edited by a moderator:
In all the years I've been in this trade and it's a long time, nobody ever cares it's just down to you now you have found it to put it right.

You can try saying get the installer back, oh cannot remember his name, or how long ago was this done, oh I don't really remember.

Same old same old, fix and move on.

Never fix it free, I want paying just for speaking 
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
 the days of good deeds are gone.

I find once you tell them the issue they want you to fix it and most are not prepared to go back to the installer and complain, it's just too much hassle for them and they want an easy life.