Adding Extractor Fan, Minor Works.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Roberts

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new on here. I've recently left the forces as an electrician in Germany and now working back in England.

I'm not Part P registered yet and what qualifies as minor works seems to have changed since I left.

Competence and capability isn't a problem, I've done this a thousand times before.

My question is, is adding an extractor fan to an existing lighting circuit in a small downstairs toilet room currently classed as minor works?

The job is in a council property and as such the tenants have been told it must be signed off by a qualified electrician, I'm fully qualified, can I sign this off?

This may seem very obvious for some but I've not worked here since 2004.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum Sam  .

Unfortunately I think you'll find the council will want to see a Minor Works signed off by a scheme registered Sparks ,   Yes I know what you're thinking but thats how it is now for Domestic work.

Your next question will be ...can I get a registered sparks to sign it off ?      The answer is no to be honest. Unless you have a good mate :innocent   

I thought he meant the Minor Works would go to the Council for their records ...and I'm guessing they would be looking the scam logos .

Why not just fit a fan & don't inform the council ......its not a hanging offence ......yet!