Hi-Tuf Cable Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hello All,

I work for a local company wiring PV systems in this new fangled cable they call hi-tuf or euro-tuf.   The other day I was looking in the regulation book and did not see a BS number for it.  Today in the wholesaler I raised the point and asked what is the BS number for this stuff.  They looked at me like I just dropped out of a space ship. The cable has no marks on it apart from manufacturers data.

Can any forum members shed any light on this query.  I guess that the cable should be mentioned in the departures box as it does not exist in our world. :B-

Hi-tuf is a very common cable in Ireland doc, north and south,

I used it as an apprentice in a previous century,

no idea about BS numbers,

Im sure someone on here correctly told me the proper name for it once,

I still call it hi-tuff,

like a flex with a harder, [almost SWA type], outer sheathing on it, then thats wht I call hi-tuf

Yep Steptoe,

A hard plastic sheath with solid drawn conductors... OK to work with and I seem to remember it from 15 years ago in Scandinavia on a doctor's jolly

thats it doc,

ive still no idea its proper name,

hopefully a proper electrician type person will be along shortly to state the obvious for you,

we used to use it loads for wall lights etc, externally of course.

Probably 6004 for ratings, but that is now harmonised & I can't remember the new number!

It is however I believe NYY-J coding, which looks very much like a 6004/"new harmonised" standard coding.

The "real" hituf cable is a Draka product, but I think it may have been withdrawn.

I think it is to IEC60502-1.

The crux of it is, you need to get the name off the cable reel I think.

If You take a look on the TLC website as Sidey has said look at the NYY-J (formerly known as Hituff) the data sheet gives all the info for you.