Topic Got Locked. Japanese Water Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher2015

Reaction score
Thank you for looking in. I'm a complete novice , I bought an electric water heater from Japan to go under a sink with no hot water supply. The machine States 220v 50mhz 3000w

Question is will this work off a good quality 13 amp plug? Or is a higher amp needed? Thanks a lot

If it's rated for 220V then in the UK at (usually) nearer to 240V it will draw more current than you would expect for a 3KW heater.

No I wouldn't connect it to a 13A plug.

Are you sure it is 50 milli Hz (mHz) that is presuming that you mean Hertz as in the ac supply frequency by your description of hz?

I suspect it is 50Hz, as in 50 Hertz, or 50 cps?

Sorry I have more questions. A member was right it was 220v 50hz 3000w

My question is what amp do I need, do I need a separate supply and at what amp?

How do I fit this in the uk ? Thank you.

For this heater, I would install a dedicated 16A supply.

However, this is my preference.

It could be argued that there are other ways of connecting it up.

However, your location in the UK and, the location of the water heater has an influence on whether this work is notifiable or not under Building Regulations.

Which in turn has an affect on how you can undertake the work legally if you are the householder where this device is to be installed.

Have to ask why did you buy it from Japan when you can buy them in this country, does it make sushi as well?

I tried to post an answer last night but the thread got locked.

At 220V and 3000W the heater will draw 13.6 Amps

Now connect the same heater to 240V and it will draw 14.8 Amps and produce 3500W of heat

So a dedicated supply fed from a 15A MCB sounds the way to go.

But you will be running the heater beyond it's ratings so don't expect it to last long.