240v downlighters stopped working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harryodin

Reaction score
I have six GU10 240v delighted in very high hallway , they recently tripped ,I reset RCD , everything else came back on but not the downlighters. Changed the dimmer switch no better , changed the 2 lamps I can reach , no better . Went in the loft no obvious damage , they look like they are wired in series , would one of the remaining 4 lamps being blown take out complete circuit. Worked perfectly for ten years so assume not a fundamental fault and had no other changes , any idea welcome

I have six GU10 240v delighted in very high hallway , they recently tripped ,I reset RCD , everything else came back on but not the downlighters. Changed the dimmer switch no better , changed the 2 lamps I can reach , no better . Went in the loft no obvious damage , they look like they are wired in series , would one of the remaining 4 lamps being blown take out complete circuit. Worked perfectly for ten years so assume not a fundamental fault and had no other changes , any idea welcome
It's very unlikely theyre wired in series, if they were with 240v lamps, 6 of them would need a supply of 1,440v! They will be wired in parallel. You really need to find whats missing either Live or Neutral. Have double checked that no circuit breakers are tripped in the consumer unit where the RCD tripped? (just in case the lights are on a separate supply). If you havent got one, go to Screwfix or Toolstation and get a no contact voltage probe. Check the supplies to the lights i.e. with lights in the on position, hold the voltage stick at either side of the cable and see if it lights, if it does than you lost the Neutral, if it doesnt try behind the switch and see if you have a supply to the switch etc.

I do not have any test kit , waiting for electrician to turn up , has to keep cancelling as too busy but hopefully tomorrow. I do not want to fiddle any more , I just cannot understand how worked for 10 years and nothing added or changed or moved anywhere and now does not work unless one lamp blowing can cause the whole lot to go out ? Thank you for all the comments

Electrical installations are like the human body - some bits can go on for a very long time and some can fail randomly.

Ask the spark for the explanation of the fault / fix

Latest posts