4 core wire to 2 pin inline fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurce

Reaction score
I had an axial fan with a LS in my bathroom that just was not up to the job, so I bought an in-line fan but ordered the wrong one, I ordered one without a timer so only has neutral and live connectors in the fan and no LS.
The cable that comes from the light switch and fan isolating switch for the bathroom is a 4 wire cable, earth ( not used as all plastic components) brown, black and grey. As per the attached photo, I have connected the brown wire to the live connector of the fan and the grey wire to the neutral connector, this turns the light switch on and off but not the fan, the fan works by the isolating switch, manually and not when the light comes on. So what do I need to do to the black wire to switch the fan on when the light switch comes on (not bothered with the fan staying on for a minute or so after switching light off)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 1
How do you know which of those conductors were the neutral, permanent line and switch line?

Hi Fleeting, not sure I quite understand, are you referring to the photo I attached? The connectors are at the bottom of the photo, blue coloured not the white connectors

From what you say the black needs puttingto the L terminal and the brown made safe as will be permanently live. It will operate on off with the light. Did you take pictures before taking old fan out?

Hi Monkey5, I still have the old fan but the old one had a timer so a LS connector as opposed to the new one but I can check if you think it might highlight something