Advice on smart momentary push button or temporary reset switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestHound

Reaction score
Hello,

I plan to install a CCTV system in my residential block, of which its main use would be to record delivery of packages, explain lost packages from entrance floor, etc. The monitoring or recording of residents is not of concern and I would like to offer those residents that are concerned about their privacy the possibility to remotely and temporarily (e.g. 1-2 min) disable the CCTV system. I do not want them to remotely turn it off for 2 min, and then on again (via for a example a smart plug), because many times they will forget to turn it on again. Is there a smart momentary push button or temporary reset switch that would be connected to the Internet enabling them via a phone app to temporarily disable the system for a predetermined time (e.g. 2 min)?

Thanks

I'm not sure that's a good plan. If stuff disappears and you don't have any video record suspicion will immediately move to who can "kill" the recording and start all sorts of arguments.
I would want to work on an agreement by majority to have CCTV, (or not). You can point out to anyone with concerns about privacy that they are on CCTV somewhere as soon as they step into the street, and that the recordings will be treated as confidential.

If residents are concerned / worried about their privacy how are they going to operate this switch as they probably will not have a mobile phone as that tracks all their movements
The other problem is how will you secure / limit operator access to the remote switch
Without spending any time researching it I can think of one possible secure option that could be explored but the cost would probably make it unviable

I am a leaseholder and one of the directors of the freehold company. The majority of leaseholders bought the freehold a few years ago. Privacy and CCTV on the street is different than privacy and CCTV in a residential building. On the street, the camera operator has no idea who you are, and neither does he/she care if you just go about your business. In a small residential block (i.e. 11 flats), I know everyone. Thus, some people may be a bit uncomfortable that in theory I can see what time and they come in or out, with whom etc. For the same reason, I would not want a camera pointing into my flat entrance. The switch would be operated via an app, just like you would turn on/off a smart plug. The people I am talking about are not people that would be concerned that their phone is being tracked by Google, Vodafone, etc. I am not talkign about this type of privacy concerns.

I am a leaseholder and one of the directors of the freehold company. The majority of leaseholders bought the freehold a few years ago. Privacy and CCTV on the street is different than privacy and CCTV in a residential building. On the street, the camera operator has no idea who you are, and neither does he/she care if you just go about your business. In a small residential block (i.e. 11 flats), I know everyone. Thus, some people may be a bit uncomfortable that in theory I can see what time and they come in or out, with whom etc. For the same reason, I would not want a camera pointing into my flat entrance. The switch would be operated via an app, just like you would turn on/off a smart plug. The people I am talking about are not people that would be concerned that their phone is being tracked by Google, Vodafone, etc. I am not talkign about this type of privacy concerns.
so you need some form of smart relay or convieniently placed retractive switch controlling a relay with a timer.

Westhound, what you propose would need to be dedicated software written specifically for your cctv recording device (NVR) since you should not constantly turn off/on any recording device as it will cause problems and may cause it to "stall"

Such software similar to what you seek does exist for specific NVR's but it only works for the "user" and most only toggle on/off. Since anyone that does have access to the recordings could see everything and delete everything, deliberate or not.

I suggest that you give notice that you will be having CCTV installed, but that it will be directed to the front porch for the sole purpose of monitoring deliveries/packages.
You should also state any resident is welcome to see specific footage by request.

I have found in situations as you describe, some folk initially "complain" but after a short time become totally oblivious to it.
Also most NVRs have the ability to "obscure" (user selected) areas so you would not have to record everything.

Westhound, what you propose would need to be dedicated software written specifically for your cctv recording device (NVR) since you should not constantly turn off/on any recording device as it will cause problems and may cause it to "stall"

Such software similar to what you seek does exist for specific NVR's but it only works for the "user" and most only toggle on/off. Since anyone that does have access to the recordings could see everything and delete everything, deliberate or not.

I suggest that you give notice that you will be having CCTV installed, but that it will be directed to the front porch for the sole purpose of monitoring deliveries/packages.
You should also state any resident is welcome to see specific footage by request.

I have found in situations as you describe, some folk initially "complain" but after a short time become totally oblivious to it.
Also most NVRs have the ability to "obscure" (user selected) areas so you would not have to record everything.
I was going to inform the residents in any case, but was simply wondering if there is a simple solution to address the privacy issue.

I was going to inform the residents in any case, but was simply wondering if there is a simple solution to address the privacy issue.
Not really, like any security equipment the ability to shut it down is not considered a good thing. You will have to rig up something yourself, I would be looking at interrupting the camera feed, so you stop the images getting through rather than turning the system off. But I wouldn't even offer that ability unless a resident really complains about it.

Not really, like any security equipment the ability to shut it down is not considered a good thing. You will have to rig up something yourself, I would be looking at interrupting the camera feed, so you stop the images getting through rather than turning the system off. But I wouldn't even offer that ability unless a resident really complains about it.
Interrupting the camera feed is exactly what I was thinking, not the NVR or security equipment. Any idea how it would be tackled?

The cameras would connect to the NVR through POE. I could use a POE switch between the NVR and cameras. The question is how can I temporarily (1-2 min) remotely suspend the power to the switch? This can be done with an on/off typical smart plug, but these have to bed turned off and then on again. I was to have the ability to press a button on an app, that would turn off the POE switch for 1-2 min and then turn on again.

Last edited:
I was to have the ability to press a button on an app, that would turn off the POE switch for 1-2 min and then turn on again.

You would need a timer and a relay connected to the "smart plug" so the relay operates the timer, the timer drops the supply to the cameras, easy.
The hard part is getting the right software so only your residents get an app with a "button" to operate the "smart plug"
You really need a software "engineer" to write such a programme, not an electrician.
You would also have to disable the "picture loss alarm" on the NVR (Usually just a mouse button click in the NVR menu)

I suggest it will cost you more than it is worth to get such a set up, but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Interrupting the camera feed is exactly what I was thinking, not the NVR or security equipment. Any idea how it would be tackled?

The cameras would connect to the NVR through POE. I could use a POE switch between the NVR and cameras. The question is how can I temporarily (1-2 min) remotely suspend the power to the switch? This can be done with an on/off typical smart plug, but these have to bed turned off and then on again. I was to have the ability to press a button on an app, that would turn off the POE switch for 1-2 min and then turn on again.
You would have to break into the cabling with a relay, but that will be a right fiddle as you are talking about CaT 5 cable, which is tiny!

PoE will have a 12v supply on two of the cables, you need to interrupt one of those to power down the camera. Personally I wouldn't go there.

Another thought, mount DVR/NVR in a locked hallway cupboard, so no one has immediate access to it, that way no one can complain of being watched.