Another dIY Battery Is Alive

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipdialup

Reaction score
Part of the Pylontech CANBus protocol is that the 8 character string "PYLON " (i.e. PYLON and 3 spaces) should be sent as CANBus message 0x35E.

The Solis will fail with the battery name error if the Solis is set to PYLONLV battery type and it does not receive this packet of data periodically.

So all is well if the emulation includes the msg, if not then you may need to select "user defined" from the list of batteries in the Solis menu.

Is their anyway to get the SEPLOS BMS to do this? I get the name Fail error from the RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G when ever I set PYLON, I have to use user define.

Also does anyone know why I get CAN communication failure to the inverter whenever I plug in an RS485 cable to connect the battery to the PC at the same time as the CAN is active?

(Split from hi-jacked thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also does anyone know why I get CAN communication failure to the inverter whenever I plug in an RS485 cable to connect the battery to the PC at the same time as the CAN is active?
I'm fairly sure the Australian You tube guy Off grid garage had that problem when testing Seplos BMS. Have a look see.
As to the missing string, you would need to see if the Seplos BMS has the ability to mimic Pylontec in its firmware.

Is their anyway to get the SEPLOS BMS to do this? I get the name Fail error from the RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G when ever I set PYLON, I have to use user define.
Mine is talking to the Victron Iverter which identifies it as a Pylontech battery, I dont know the answer to your question but if you on Whatsapp and contact Alan he may be able to help. I've pm'd you his details.

I spoke with Seplos on this and they linked me to a new version of the Battery Monitor software to download and install, if added the GINL Protocol Type to the selection list, when I pick that and put the inverter on Pylon Battery it now works without complaining, nice :)

Just in case this is useful for anyone else

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10pxgNLHovcDZRVGrCZsSkfecBrRw-AdW
tmpupload.png
Seem image for the newer version of the Battery Monitor

I spoke with Seplos on this and they linked me to a new version of the Battery Monitor software to download and install, if added the GINL Protocol Type to the selection list, when I pick that and put the inverter on Pylon Battery it now works without complaining, nice :)

View attachment 15645
Brilliant, glad youre up and running.

Photo's of your setup?????

View attachment 15645
did your battery then start discharge and charging when the solar panels have shut off for the evening time. as ive changed settings but its greyed out still but no alarms showing im not sure what voltages the seplos should be set to on ov and uv or the inverter settings tbh.

I had it set to Pylon, but one of the things i found with that setting is that I can't limit the discharge current (maybe a BMS setting can control that...), but Solis behaves as expected, charges when I have excess solar, and then discharged to house upto maximum inverter rating when set to Pylon on RAI, and GINL on SEPLOS BMS.

I think I have my voltages set to 57.6ov, and 46v UV, and I have the Discharge SOC set to 20% so the inverter will not drain the battery below 20% SOC.

I decided however I wanted to limit the discharge current, which can't be done via the inverter on Pylon Battery type, so I went back to the User Defined battery setting on the Solis, and GNIL setting on the BMS that way I could set the max discharge current to around 40a (2kw), max charge at 60a, and have the force charge set to 10%, so if the battery hits 10% SOC it will charge it from the Grid.

So all working now how I want, now, last piece of the puzzle is possibly an active balancer... to squeeze the most out of my pack, which is made up of 16 x 200ah CALB cells (2nd hand cells), using 20% SOC for discharge, I seem to get around 7-8kwh from a fully charged pack, but it's hard to be certain, as the BMS doesn't give Kwh, and the Solis doesn't give a single cycle usage....

Thanks.

So all working now how I want, now, last piece of the puzzle is possibly an active balancer... to squeeze the most out of my pack, which is made up of 16 x 200ah CALB cells (2nd hand cells), using 20% SOC for discharge, I seem to get around 7-8kwh from a fully charged pack, but it's hard to be certain, as the BMS doesn't give Kwh, and the Solis doesn't give a single cycle usage....

Thanks.
I used one of these to smart balance my battery, it's always 3mV between top and bottom now, brilliant piece of kit.

neey active smart balancer.jpg
It makes a significant improvement during charging and discharging, it's easy to setup and very versatile.

I had it set to Pylon, but one of the things i found with that setting is that I can't limit the discharge current (maybe a BMS setting can control that...), but Solis behaves as expected, charges when I have excess solar, and then discharged to house upto maximum inverter rating when set to Pylon on RAI, and GINL on SEPLOS BMS.

I think I have my voltages set to 57.6ov, and 46v UV, and I have the Discharge SOC set to 20% so the inverter will not drain the battery below 20% SOC.

I decided however I wanted to limit the discharge current, which can't be done via the inverter on Pylon Battery type, so I went back to the User Defined battery setting on the Solis, and GNIL setting on the BMS that way I could set the max discharge current to around 40a (2kw), max charge at 60a, and have the force charge set to 10%, so if the battery hits 10% SOC it will charge it from the Grid.

Thanks.
Did solis have upgrade your inverter firmware and which solis inverter do you have is it the rai3es

HI,

I have Solis RAI-3k-48es-5g, mine has software version 11000E in it according to the display.

I think my inverter needs updating then as mine is not on that version of firmware did solis upgrade your inverter for you remotely or did you have to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts