ASHP - Am I so unlucky?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey, you don't do things by halves do you! Did you need another multiplus too, or is all 28kWh connected to the one unit?
I effectively paralleled up another set of EVE cells

Another Seplos BMS ?
No, cells being paralleled to the original, I did fit another active balancer though to take care of the individual cells.

Bear with me, I'm a slow learner, how long would all that take to charge ?

Assuming supply is coming in through a 63A fuse, then 230V x 63A is ~14.5kW, so less than 2h to fully charge the lot if need be? No. It needs to go from 230V AC to ~48V DC first, which is the inverters job.

So the multiplus 5kVA unit has continuous output power of 5000VA or 4000W, so that would make it 28hWh / 4000w = 7hrs?

It quotes max charge current of 70A.
Or the absorption voltage is 57.5V * min(70A,63A) = 3.62kW, so 28hWh / 3.62kW = 7.7hrs?
Theoretically over 8 hours from discharged state but I only run between 10% and 96% so they're never fully charged or fully discharged. I do have a 100amp supply into my house (the smart meter guy upgraded it for me when he did the meter). I'm confident that I wont completely discharge the system and therefore wont ever need to fully charge it either. Recently I turned off the overnight off peak charging and the few days of good weather charged the system up nicely. I suspect through the summer I will be able to run without grid support, time will tell!

So, to briefly go back on my original topic, it turns out that my home is not suitable for ASHP after all!!!
...And they made me wait many months to finally tell me this.
I feel really let down. Sadly this is a too often pattern from many trades. I feel, that since Brexit and COVID trades don't have honour or much pride in their business. A big reliability concern for work assessment and punctuality. Heck... Many times people won't even give you a quote or even bother to let you know they aren't interested! Sad!

The annoying thing was that I, as a costumer, had to tell them of many inconsistencies that I found on the initial MCS spreadsheet.
The main obvious problem was the incompetent entry where MCS asked if the pipe run was within the allowable 10m, to which the surveyor ticked Yes!
The actual length is very close to 18m!

Then there were other internal dimensions errors and luck of space for rads and HW tank.
That's a shame, as the grant would have covered full costs under the LAD scheme in our situation.

So, I asked if I could instead use that grant for a solar PV system, but no one replies to my inquiry...

I am also one of the many unlucky ones that got strung along for over 8 months for a private Solar PV and battery system by First4Solar that I believe might go on receivership. Awaiting news to see if another company will honour unfulfilled contracts, before going through the process for getting my money back from my credit card company under Section 75.

Hi creakyride, sorry to hear of your problems with the companies you have had dealings with, I'm afraid the same issues existed before covid and brexit, I feel it's a case of whoever shouts loudest gets the most attention nowadays and the default attitude of 'you don't get my respect until you've earned it' doesn't help with customer relations.

There are some good guys out there, I had a response from one solar PV company which said they weren't accepting new work as their books were full and when I asked if they had a waiting list they said no as they couldn't say when they might be able to get back to me. I much prefer an honest response like that and I will try them again because of it.

It's not easy sometimes when ppl treat you badly, do try not to take it personally if you can. Clean the slate, dust yourself down, tell yourself you're worth better, it's their loss, and try again when you can.

I'm sure you'll get your money back from the cc company, I suggest contacting them to let them know what's happening. I've had to do it twice, was surprised how easy it was.

Last edited:
Hi creakyride, sorry to hear of your problems with the companies you have had dealings with, I'm afraid the same issues existed before covid and brexit, I feel it's a case of whoever shouts loudest gets the most attention nowadays and the default attitude nowadays of 'you don't get my respect until you've earned it' doesn't help with customer relations.

There are some good guys out there, I had a response from one solar PV company which said they weren't accepting new work as their books were full and when I asked if they had a waiting list they said no as they couldn't say when they might be able to get back to me. I much prefer an honest response like that and I will try them again because of it.

It's not easy sometimes when ppl treat you badly, do try not to take it personally if you can. Clean the slate, dust yourself down, tell yourself you're worth better, it's their loss, and try again when you can.

I'm sure you'll get your money back from the cc company, I suggest contacting them to let them know what's happening. I've had to do it twice, was surprised how easy it was.
Yes, it would be nice to get truthful replies. Like you I don't mind waiting whatever length of time it takes for a proper job to be done, I am a very patient man, but it gets me livid when I am been getting for a ride.

On a positive note, I had a call from the company taking over First4Solar and I have been assured that they will carry out the work at no extra cost. When that will happen is still to be seen. But I rather wait a bit longer than getting the money back and start allover again and likely to be costing me more money. 🙏🤞