Burglar alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fitted a Texecom dialer for years. but if I remember correctly it can be set to dial multiple numbers in sequence, ie if first number doesn't respond to call it dials the next number etc etc.

Not sure I would bother with detectors upstairs, unless the sloping roof is really an issue, which depends on the backyard access. Climbing out a window with 52" TV doesn't work, so any burgular is more likely to escape through front door. Main security feature of any burgular alarm is the bell box on the outside - if it can be seen it is most likely to deter any possible threat. The secret being to look better protected than the neighbours, good physical security of back garden walls etc etc is also worth considering eg high(ish) trellis work with climbing plants like a dog rose, and Not leaving wheely bins in back lane - lots of people in my area leave them out, and its interesting how many have dented lids, from where someone has jumped up on them to take a look over the wall.....

I am not making myself clear (sorry about that)

Yes of course if its to assist a relative you will go, but if its "the alarm" and there is no one home..........it can wait till later. I have a dealings with an alarm receiving centre and its quite surprising the number of people they call that are "busy" and will not  / don't want to go to an alarm in the small hours.

just saying.

Right peeps,

Looking for an alarm for daughters house, not normally my field, so looking to those of you who fit these to know what's good.

Running cables and mounting things is not an issue.

Knowing where, is a little more tricky!

I'm sure we will overcome, with perhaps a little help.

Terraced house, 2 doors, one exit zone, remote key pad.

Entry zone, front door into hallway, two rooms off either side with windows onto the street.

Left hand room is a little open into the dining room which has a window into back garden.

Kitchen is an extension to the rear with door to garden.

No official access to garden from anywhere.

Upstairs, 2 beds in front, very large landing, and bathroom, window kind of accessible off sloping roof.

I am thinking something that will remote alert, but not fully monitored.

There will be a landline, and reasonable 4G coverage depending on network.

Very old >110 years so big thick stone walls.

Wireless is probably a non starter, but, floors will be up for mods and partial re-wire.

Any suggestions please on makes etc.
I'd advise cctv over an alarm the because you can then see what is happening on playback where as the alarm only will only alert you but not provide information on what done it 

An alarm is cheaper than CCTV, and CCTV does not have a deterrent outside (Bell box) also CCTV is no use if the faces are covered, an alarm wouldn't be bothered by what they were or not  wearing. 

Also it has to be a good resolution (which is not cheap) to get a good recognisable picture.