Ceiling light back to Rose Pendant

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob2020

Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I am moving home in the near future and want to take some of the ceiling lights we had fitted.

I am looking to cut the cost of having to pay to have them taken down so I plan to take them down and replace them with a rose pendant fitting (which it was before)

I have watched a few videos but just wanted to check something in regards to my wiring.

My wiring is Black & red which is fine but I have an extra separate red cable as well which I am not sure is for.

The light can be switched on and off by two separate switches.

link to picture below

Picture

You have 3 red wires that presently go into an orange Wago connector.  Those three go into the "LOOP" terminal in the middle of the rose.  There are normally 3 terminals, one for each wire.

The 2 blacks going into the left had red Wago go into the N terminal on the rose. the blue of the flex to the light also goes into the N terminal.

The black wire sleeved in red goes into the L terminal and so does the brown to the light flex.

All green / yellows go into the E terminal.

Well done for taking a picture befoe you took it apart, you have no idea how many people just disconnect it all then ask.

You have 3 red wires that presently go into an orange Wago connector.  Those three go into the "LOOP" terminal in the middle of the rose.  There are normally 3 terminals, one for each wire.

The 2 blacks going into the left had red Wago go into the N terminal on the rose. the blue of the flex to the light also goes into the N terminal.

The black wire sleeved in red goes into the L terminal and so does the brown to the light flex.

Well done for taking a picture befoe you took it apart, you have no idea how many people just disconnect it all then ask.
Thank you very much this is extremely helpful.

There are 3 black wires coming from three different cables not 2, does this affect anything?

Yes but one of them is sleeved in red, don't loose track of which one that is, that is the switched live coming back from the light switch.
So just to confirm the thick red wire by itself is the switched live and goes to L terminal and the three separate black wires (coming from the three cables) go into the N terminal

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the questions, I just like to make sure I have it completely right in my head 🙂

Yes.  If you look harder you will find that single thick red wire, is in fact a black one with red sleeving slid over it.  You will be surprised how often the red sleeving is missing and then people get confused which black one is doing what.

The left hand red wago is a Four terminal mini push-fit wago..

which if you look closely actually has 3x black & 1 x blue conductor.  

(count the copper wires in the clear bit of the wagao) 

There are 3 black wires coming from three different cables not 2, does this affect anything?

Yes but one of them is sleeved in red, don't loose track of which one that is, that is the switched live coming back from the light switch.

I think there are 3x Blacks and 3x Reds and a single red..

I don't think it is a black sleeved red from that photo?

The Op mentioned that the light can be switched from two switches..

I think there are three looped supply cables perm live & neutral..  (3x T&E)

Plus one single red..  bringing the switched live from the 2-way switching.

in which case... one of the neutral screw terminals on the rose with have to have 2x blacks doubled up into it as there are Four neutral conductors in the picture.

Noob2020 you say you have a few lights to swap back to pendants..

Please note different lights in the same property may be wired in different configurations...

You have to have a supply from the fuse box, a cable to one, (or more), switch(es), A supply carrying onto the next light in the circuit..

and the supplies may be looped at the light, the switch, or a hidden junction box etc..

So some lights may only have a single cable with L,N & E..

others could have several cables..

If in any doubt it may be cheaper & quicker just to employ someone to swap the lights..

As if you get it wrong you could end up with either fuses blowing or several rooms having no power if an earlier switch is off..

Guinness   

Latest posts