Changes to Landlord regulation in Scotland

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldelectrician

Reaction score
Noticed this on the Scottish Goverment website.

Just thought I would post this for the total readership and to show the stark differnces between the Scottish Government and the RUK governments

Consultation on the Introduction of a Tenant Information Pack in the Private Rented Sector

The link to the Scottish Government website is HERE

In a nutshell they could make it a requirement to add in electrical certs and similar items;

The bit below suggests "reputable electrical contractors" but I think it makes sense to have a copy of a satisfactory electrical certificate (EICR) included in the pack

2.2 Electrical Safety

Your landlord must make sure electrical wiring and electrical appliances in your property are safe to use. Responsible landlords will carry out Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) on appliances and have a current electrical safety certificate from an approved contractor.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:15 ----------

As a side note- do you think there should be more landlord regualtion all over the UK (there is landlord registration - mandatory- in Scotland, this is just making things tighter)

Well speaking as a Scottish electrician AND a landlord I say both "oh good" and "oh my god"

Yes it may bring more work for sparkies, but it's already pretty much accepted that that a PIR (EICR) is what's required and most responsible landlords do that anyway.

The "oh my god" bit is not more bloody paperwork to burden us poor landlords. We have had compulsory energy efficiency certificates for rental properties for some time, and all landlords have to be registered already.

I've followed the link you gave that tells me about the consultation, but I can't find anywhere from that where I can actually go to take part in the consultation and give my views. As a Scottish landlord I feel I have a right to join in the consultation.

Latest posts