Circuit off but breaker not tripped - help please!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I’d appreciate some advice before we make a costly call for an electrician as it might be a simple problem to solve, we just haven’t got a clue when it comes to electrics!

So my partner was using the microwave tonight and noticed that it didn’t ping, checked it and found that it just stopped at 2 mins. Sockets turned on. So he plugged it in another socket and still no luck. Then he noticed that our washing machine & boiler were off too! Now it looks like all the kitchen sockets are off.
We checked the panel in our airing cupboard but all circuit breakers seem to be on. I’ll post a picture below. Could you let me know if there’s any way to turn these back on? We’ve only just moved into this flat so no idea if this happened before…
Thanks in advance!

https://ibb.co/Rbf6kPfhttps://ibb.co/kcwKCSs

Common with the MK rcds to think there still on as they trip to mid position and need fully turning off before they'll reset. I assume it was an appliance that was probably in use at the time, possibly a kettle or anything with an element are the usual suspects. If it does it again make a note what was in use, (doesn't always have to be in use but a good place to start). If you do suspect something causing it, you could try it in another socket in another room as it looks like the rest of your sockets are protected by another RCD, if that trips that you need to replace that appliance.
Someone will probably be along soon to add to this, and also say that consumer unit needs replacing, mix match of brands, solar on shared RCD, dual RCD, type AC RCD and plastic consumer unit. Would be wise to get the electrics tested and look at replacing with new consumer unit, especially if you've not long moved in.
Hope this helps
Wayne

Thank you, that’s very helpful! I’ve asked a local business for a quote so hopefully they can come out & do some testing.

Also, when you said about the kettle - it was plugged into the below socket, though it wasn’t on - I never looked at this socket before but it does look a bit dodgy right? Are they supposed to look this “corroded”?

Attachments

• 4C30BD90-325F-4BD9-A3FE-8E1B7FC01244.jpeg
    4C30BD90-325F-4BD9-A3FE-8E1B7FC01244.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Amazing that reset it, thanks!

I guess we should still call an electrician out eventually? I suspect some dodgy wiring..

Probably not dodgy wiring....
More likely faulty (or failing appliance)

BUT..

A competent electrician could test the RCD, (the switch that tripped), which is there to detect very small electrical currents leaking to earth..
To verify the RCD is operating correctly within its specified electrical characteristics.
(RCD's can become over-sensitive and give nusiance tripping problems! )

Also do insulation resistance test on the circuits connected via the RCD..
to check there are no low resistance paths to earth that would cause and RCD to trip..

These tests could probably be carried out during a single first-hour call out charge...
which will vary depending upon whereabout in the county you are....
Could be £40-£50 for a local non-London based electrican..
Or could be double or more if more remote, longer travel, or deep in the heart of London?

From my general experience and gut-feeling, 90%+ of faults that cause an RCD to operate are appliance, rather than wiring related.

I would suggest see how it goes before calling anyone out..
if it trips off again within a couple of weeks.. then maybe get someone in to check the RCD & Circuits..

BUT.. if it only trips when the microwave is on..
Get a new microwave!!!

Probably not dodgy wiring....
More likely faulty (or failing appliance)

BUT..

A competent electrician could test the RCD, (the switch that tripped), which is there to detect very small electrical currents leaking to earth..
To verify the RCD is operating correctly within its specified electrical characteristics.
(RCD's can become over-sensitive and give nusiance tripping problems! )

Also do insulation resistance test on the circuits connected via the RCD..
to check there are no low resistance paths to earth that would cause and RCD to trip..

These tests could probably be carried out during a single first-hour call out charge...
which will vary depending upon whereabout in the county you are....
Could be £40-£50 for a local non-London based electrican..
Or could be double or more if more remote, longer travel, or deep in the heart of London?

From my general experience and gut-feeling, 90%+ of faults that cause an RCD to operate are appliance, rather than wiring related.

I would suggest see how it goes before calling anyone out..
if it trips off again within a couple of weeks.. then maybe get someone in to check the RCD & Circuits..

BUT.. if it only trips when the microwave is on..
Get a new microwave!!!
Thank you, honestly if it was appliance related that would be great as I imagine it’s a much easier problem to fix (and probably a lot cheaper). It’s just weird that none of these appliances caused any trouble in our old flat, only here… and judging by all the other problems we’ve had since moving in I wouldn’t be surprised if it was due to the wiring!

Thank you, honestly if it was appliance related that would be great as I imagine it’s a much easier problem to fix (and probably a lot cheaper). It’s just weird that none of these appliances caused any trouble in our old flat, only here… and judging by all the other problems we’ve had since moving in I wouldn’t be surprised if it was due to the wiring!

Older fuseboard without RCD protection maybe?

It’s just weird that none of these appliances caused any trouble in our old flat, only here… and judging by all the other problems we’ve had since moving in I wouldn’t be surprised if it was due to the wiring!

Could be no RCD at your old flat?
especially as you didn't appear to recognise an RCD on your new consumer unit?

Unless you've had wiring alterations, building works, other external contributory factors, (rodents/flood damage etc). there is no logical reason why the circuit wiring would be damaged or faulty in anyway. Correctly designed and installed cables will last a very long time with minimal wear or ageing problems.

whereas appliances will typically have a much shorter lifespan..
and when any appliance first fails it will also be true that you never had problem with it before.
Bit like saying I can't understand getting 2 punctures in a new car, as we never got punctures in our old car, so our new car must be faulty?

Overheated socket accessories are often just loose connections inside the accessory, or a plug with loose connections introducing heat via its pins.

Electricity ALWAYS generates some heat whilst flowing through a circuit.. and loose connections will increase that heat at poor joints.
But as said previous this could all be verified easily with some appropriate test equiptment.

Thanks all, RE: the RCD at old flat - very well could be, we never looked at the fuseboard as we never had any issues and like I said we’re clueless when it comes to electrics 😬 so I appreciate your help!

As for the wiring - you’re probably right but tbh after finding botched DIY upon botched DIY since moving in I’m not sure if previous owners messed sth up and we’re just yet to discover it… eg yesterday we were cleaning the top of kitchen cupboards and just found a bunch of wires loose on top, not covered or protected or anything, they seem to be connected to some lights on the underside of units (which don’t work btw)
But yeah hopefully it’s just an appliance issue.

Apologies, by wires I meant cables!! Before anyone thinks we live in a fire hazard zone :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, just thought I’d give an update - electricians have been today and did a great job, and they basically said the same things as you guys did: to replace the consumer unit & also the damaged socket cover(?) but they also said it looks fine otherwise and no immediate risks etc. Phew! Now waiting for the quote to come in for all the work, hopefully it won’t be astronomical :D
No idea which appliance tripped the circuit though, I guess we’ll see eventually…

Did this “great job” include identifying what caused the trip? Hate you to come back in the future and say we spent £xxx on a new CU and it still tripped.

Don’t forget to get several quotes.

Did this “great job” include identifying what caused the trip? Hate you to come back in the future and say we spent £xxx on a new CU and it still tripped.

Don’t forget to get several quotes.
Hmm no… should they have looked for that? They did say the same as @monkey5 and @SPECIAL LOCATION above, that it’s most likely sth with a heating element or that the RCD can be a bit sensitive (before testing it). TBF we haven’t had it trip since. Should I get someone to look at it again?