Complying with all regs on this consumer unit change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Hi All

Still early days for me with going it alone and trying to do best to do all works in compliance with regs or don't do it at all. So would rather eat humble pie with lack or knowledge in some areas. Have been asked to potentially change this consumer unit. Got a few details on it and want to be clear on what I need to adhere to. This board is placed in a cellar in residential property and may be used by residents frequently. My main concern is consumer tails have no support at present. I would change these, would it also be a requirement to place these in trunking or is clipping to wall sufficient. As consumer talis less than 3 metres i dont see need for fused isolator switch. I would also clip and support main earthing conductor. The small board on left was added to accommodate shower I will do away with this and take in to new one. It's a 60 Amp TNS supply. I will use 16mm tails and 16mm earthing conductor and use 10mm for both gas and water bonding. The cables will be taken into top of consumer unit with use of compression glands and will clip and support these as best I can. Be interested to know others thoughts and if I'm not seeing anything else that needs considering. Cheers

IMG-20200429-WA0003.jpg

That install would certainly benefit from some tidying up, new tails in trunking, removing redundant henley blocks etc  but changing the CU would not be my immediate suggestion.

But what's going on with that main CU?  Are ALL the circuits in use on the non rcd side and in fact nothing at all connected to the RCD?  or has it got a really odd internal configuration and all the circuits are from the RCD.

A much simpler upgrade given the few number of circuits is a few rcbo's.  Trunking across the top of the CU to tidy things up, new tails supported by clipping or trunking,

Last edited by a moderator:
That install would certainly benefit from some tidying up, new tails in trunking, removing redundant henley blocks etc  but changing the CU would not be my immediate suggestion.

But what's going on with that main CU?  Are ALL the circuits on use on the non rcd side and in fact nothing at all connected to the RCD?  or has it got a really odd internal configuration and all the circuits are from the RCD.

A much simpler upgrade given the few number of circuits is a few rcbo's.  Trunking across the top of the CU to tidy things up, new tails supported by clipping or trunking,

Why are they being changed?

Serious question.

Guy has just bought property having it done up, having certain areas rewired. He also needs another circuit or two for cooker etc. He was pretty adamant would like new 18th ed DB.  For what its worth the config of DB doesn't provide rcd protection at moment although could be rejigged.

Ok

metal clad RCBO board mounted on wood  using rear entry. Replace tails and Henley block, upgrade main earth, check / add bonding cables. Secure tails using SWA cleats

anything less isn’t worth doing if he’s doing it up and it would be a worth while expense that will pay him back

Given the OP's location I can understand the occupiers need to change the CU as there is a higher incidence of plastic CU fires within the LFB area than anywhere else in the UK

who the hell left those old tails in when they changed the boards? 

New board and a general tidy up, clips needed, use trunking if you want but I see no real reason to do so. New board can be used to combine both existing units, so can be located closer to the meter, meaning shortish tails straight off those lovelly new meter tail blocks which are about to lose their seals.... 

who the hell left those old tails in when they changed the boards? 

New board and a general tidy up, clips needed, use trunking if you want but I see no real reason to do so. New board can be used to combine both existing units, so can be located closer to the meter, meaning shortish tails straight off those lovelly new meter tail blocks which are about to lose their seals.... 
They certainly are nice one Blinky. 

OP are you quoting for all the electrical work?
I am mate yeah

Okay so this is a refurbishment.

I would be suggesting new consumer unit in a different, better location, not the basement.  Switch fuse and SWA to feed the new CU from the meter.

The existing circuits will obviously need re routing to the new location.

Given the OP's location I can understand the occupiers need to change the CU as there is a higher incidence of plastic CU fires within the LFB area than anywhere else in the UK
Is that your tongue stuck firmly in your cheek there  Ung ?   😅 

I'm wondering why that one way RCD unit was fitted  when there,s about  5 spare ways in the board. 

I'm wondering why that one way RCD unit was fitted  when there,s about  5 spare ways in the board. 
Because someone thinks you cannot connect a new circuit to an existing plastic box and the new circuit must connect to a metal box.

Because someone thinks you cannot connect a new circuit to an existing plastic box and the new circuit must connect to a metal box.

Fair play even I had to chuckle at that one. The guy wants a new board so who am I to say I won't give him one. He wants everything upto spec so be it obviously not short of a few quid.

Latest posts