Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking back to when we had to do fixings with the dreaded Rawlplug Jumper Bit Tool  ....it was 3/4"  imperial conduit that came in lengths of 12ft 6"      (  4 mtr + ) 

Can't remember how much we fixed in a day  seeing as it took about 10mins to fix a saddle !!!! 

BUT  I do remember when percussion drills arrived ,  Metric conduit arrived and doing  new schools , hospitals & industrial we were fixing about 40 mtrs a day of surface tube incldg. all cutting , threading , setting  etc.

Just seemed that no one was too bothered as we all tapped & twisted away with the Rawlplug Tool  but once hammer drills were introduced , greater productivity was required.

Just thinking back .

Its the same in all sectors though...

I pulled down the old lath and plaster ceiling in my kitchen recently (makes one hell of a mess and annoys the missus greatly :p ) and got thinking how long it must have taken to nail them all there, especially as it took me a good few hours afterwards to remove said nails with a clawhammer

I recently got some new multi-purpose drill bits from b&q made by jcb.

Brilliant, does wood, metal, brick and (ceramic and porcelain) tiles, with no hammer action on the cordless.

That's technology for you.

I once worked with a carpenter that refused to work with power tools. Every piece of wood was cut by hand and every screw was put in with a Stanley pump screwdriver. He did have a hammer drill though ;)

Back in the day...customer had corner bath fitted, this was when they neede two cylinders to fill them

Hubby puts 2x1 over window to hold curtain rail

Hubby uses Yankee pump driver

Hubby drops driver in bath

Driver punches hole in bath...compresses on spring....bounces out of hole and punches a second hole in bath

It was like Tigger the Driver

Oh how he did not laugh...NO sense of humour some people

I recently got some new multi-purpose drill bits from b&q made by jcb.

Brilliant, does wood, metal, brick and (ceramic and porcelain) tiles, with no hammer action on the cordless.

That's technology for you.

I once worked with a carpenter that refused to work with power tools. Every piece of wood was cut by hand and every screw was put in with a Stanley pump screwdriver. He did have a hammer drill though ;)
 JCB don't make drills, never have. You'll probably find they are Bosch Blue - my favourite drill bit. I always keep a couple sharp ones for drilling plastic, ceramics etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
JCB don't make drills, never have. You'll probably find they are Bosch Blue - my favourite drill bit. I always keep a couple sharp ones for drilling plastic, ceramics etc etc
I iuse a lot of Bosch Blue bits....well not that many as they last as long as a Mother in law's scowl!

But, whatever happened to Blue Boach SDS bits?.....do not seem to be able to find them anywhere!

Used to get from scufix or toolstation, but not any more

Sorry binky, I have them here, they are jcb,same as my work trousers and my percussion drill, all jcb. All from b&q, i have receipts, unlike some people i have read about here ;)

:eek: I can't afford to go to bnq for my tools you must be a rich man.

eBay or online mostly, I too have Bosch blues although I find I go through a lot of 5.5's also had the blue SDS ones from Thomas brothers but they closed down and I've not seen blue ones since :(

Sorry binky, I have them here, they are jcb,same as my work trousers and my percussion drill, all jcb. All from b&q, i have receipts, unlike some people i have read about here ;)
As binky says ...they do not make them. They just buy them in and rebadge them, same with the tools, clothes, batteries etc. as far as I know they only actually make JCBs

Just saying

Latest posts