Cooker hood stopped working (video)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbuttano

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what's happened to my cooker hood - both the light and the extraction has stopped.

I have made a video to show and explain a few things:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zGtzJQC1bLYTnJUn9FSFX-pEGE4ulPJH/view?usp=sharing

I have replaced the 3 amp fuse in the wall, even tried with a 5. Interestingly it all stopped working a couple of weeks ago and replacing the fuse fixed it (for 2 weeks), now it's dead again but a new fuse isn't helping this time. 

From using the voltage tester it seems as if power is getting to the switches, and I have replaced all three switches with brand new ones, and still not working.

If the extraction motor was dead I'd expect the light to still work at least?

Model is electrolux efc60001x

Any help much appreciated! Thank you

Looks like the video didn't link properly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zGtzJQC1bLYTnJUn9FSFX-pEGE4ulPJH/view?usp=sharing

if it doesnt work with a 3a fuse, the fitting a 5a isnt going to be much benefit.

you also need a better tester and a non contact voltage detector. wont tell you much. of course, with some better test equipment and fault finding would be better then randomly replacing parts and hoping for the best...

Okay video played on second try.

You are using a non contact volt stick. About as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

My guess (and it is a guess) is you have lost the neutral connection, perhaps a bad connection or fault in the FCU.  If you used a PROPER voltage tester, or even just multimeter with two probes you could test it properly and determine if that is the case or not.

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what's happened to my cooker hood - both the light and the extraction has stopped.

I have made a video to show and explain a few things:

I have replaced the 3 amp fuse in the wall, even tried with a 5. Interestingly it all stopped working a couple of weeks ago and replacing the fuse fixed it (for 2 weeks), now it's dead again but a new fuse isn't helping this time. 

From using the voltage tester it seems as if power is getting to the switches, and I have replaced all three switches with brand new ones, and still not working.

If the extraction motor was dead I'd expect the light to still work at least?

Model is electrolux efc60001x

Any help much appreciated! Thank you

Looks like the video didn't link properly:

Lets just put this into perspective....

1/ The type of "tester" you are using is similar to you taking your car to the garage to fix a fault and all they do is sit in the drivers seat trying to start it whilst looking at the dashboard..

Never lifting the bonnet or doing any actual proper testing and investigation...

Approved continuity testers and possibly later voltage tester are needed...

As most of the testing can be done whilst the appliance is dead and/or certainly not dismantled with lots of live bits hanging down...

2/ Swapping a 3A fuse.. (that has already blown)..   for a 5A fuse  is a bit like...

I once had an accident driving down a local road at 30MPH...

So now I always drive at 50MPH instead to get down it quicker...

(ignoring the fact that in the event of a fault / accident the damage will be bigger and much worse!!!)

Personally I think you would have been quicker and cheaper employing someone with correct knowledge and test equipment to come and investigate!

It could be a fault in the wiring at your fused spur...

So you have wasted money on switches...

Which would have probably been one of the last things to suspect anyway...?

:shakehead :|

headbang

Fair comments! I only had the non contact voltage detector at home so was just working with what I had. Also the switches I can return within 14 days to get my money back so that was a quick thing I could do and check myself without risk of wasting money.

I'm borrowing a multimeter from a friend this afternoon - how would I use this to determine if the neutral is lost? Any other checks I can do with it (other than switches for continuity)?

Thanks for replies so far.

2/ Swapping a 3A fuse.. (that has already blown)..   for a 5A fuse  is a bit like...

I once had an accident driving down a local road at 30MPH...

So now I always drive at 50MPH instead to get down it quicker...

(ignoring the fact that in the event of a fault / accident the damage will be bigger and much worse!!!)
Going to pinch that. I like that analogy 🥇 👍

I'm borrowing a multimeter from a friend this afternoon - how would I use this to determine if the neutral is lost? Any other checks I can do with it (other than switches for continuity)?

If you are not familiar with such a tester do you think you should be poking around inside a potentially live device?